Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM

You have made a beautiful Baltimore quilt. I am going to try to do one by hand for myself, but I still have a lot of other things to do first but I WILL DO IT, SOON. even if it takes me 5 years from the time I start, like the quilt I did for my mum, it took 31/2 years all needle turn applique and it was the one I hand quilted too. I would never want you to see the back, it is terrible. The only other hand quilt are a couple of wall quilts which took only a week to finish.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
At quilt shows that I have gone to over the last 3 years - I would say that just over half the quilts were hand quilted.

My personal preference is for hand quilting, and this the form I craft that I create. I do enjoy machine quilting where the overall design is enhanced. What machine quilters create is pretty amazing (and different) to what we can achieve. I have a friend that uses "thread painting" as her quilting method - and her work is outstanding.

I adore seeing what other hand quilters do - you have done an amazing job on those quilts. Just gorgeous :)
I think we are luckier than the USA because I have seen a lot more hand quilted as you said about half and I do like to look closely at them to see how each of the quilts I like are made and quilted. If I had the time and money I would go and get lessons on how to hand quilt the right way.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM

I make so many quilt tops that handquilting them all is plainly- and simply- out of the question.
I like the rapid freedom of the machine quilting, and seeing the design grow like a living thing on time-lapse.
And I enjoy running the longarm.

I handquilt my smalls and minis because I can and because I enjoy it.

But by far the majority of mine will all be machine quilted.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 PM

I agree with separating the machine and hand quilting categories. There are Art Quilt categories so why not? One is mechanically produced and the other isn't. To me that makes a significant difference in how I look at a quilt. Call the quilt police now. I probably offended someone.

I prefer the drape of a hand quilted quilt. Don't get me wrong, many machine quilts are beautiful but they are really stiff to me. I think it is because a lot of the designs are heavier maybe it is the thread or the way it is put in the frame. It could be the density of the designs. I wish I knew so I could fix the problem before I do it myself.

Can I do both? Someday I hope to. There is art and value in both styles. Currently I only know how to hand quilt.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Your work is simply beautiful. I do think the handquilted items are certainly more of a treasure than the machine quilted ones. There are some very creative & skilled machine quilters out there, but I have to say, handquilting is my favorite. There's room for both, but I do agree they should be judged in like groups rather than mixed. Hand quilting is a true gift of love because it takes so much time.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 AM

Many art quilts are machine quilted, however it's important to remember that there are also many art quilts that are hand quilted. The type of quilting that is done on any quilt is there for a reason, usually only known to the maker. Neither hand quilting nor machine quilting is wrong. Some people prefer one method over the other.

My only concern is that hand quilting is becoming more and more of a rarity, and when we can, we need to be as proactive as possible and show quilters how to hand quilt.

I'm in mid-Michigan. If anyone wants a hand quilting mentor, I am available and willing to help!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Annya
You have made a beautiful Baltimore quilt. I am going to try to do one by hand for myself, but I still have a lot of other things to do first but I WILL DO IT, SOON. even if it takes me 5 years from the time I start, like the quilt I did for my mum, it took 31/2 years all needle turn applique and it was the one I hand quilted too. .
It doesn't matter how long it takes. I made a Storm at Sea for my son - done by hand - and it took me just about 10 years. My son was 13 by the time I finished it and said it didn't matter how long it took because he had lived with it all that time!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:47 PM

It doesn't matter how long it takes. I made a Storm at Sea for my son - done by hand - and it took me just about 10 years. My son was 13 by the time I finished it and said it didn't matter how long it took because he had lived with it all that time![/quote]

I so want to do a Storm at Sea------I've got the fabrics, but so far all I've done is a sample block. I'm working my way into doing more that a couple shapes in one block. IMO, SAS is one of the most fascinating blocks around. Such movement from straight lines.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Georgeous, that is all I can say, just Georgeous!!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Stunning!!!!