Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Quilting is therapy and I am in the same boat you are. However, you are more important than your daughter, even tho you don't think so, and you should feel like you can do whatever you want. Find a safe house or shelter who would love to have some warm covers and they will be greatly appreciated. If you have made quite a few then you know they are good quality and with the cold weather coming up, they are much needed. With Christmas just around the corner, make a bunch of pillows to spread the cheer a little farther. Lots of kids at risk would be very happy for anything colorful!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.
There was a lovely lady in my quilt group who was VERY into quilting and buying stash. She had an abundance of quilts she made and quilting paraphenalia she used or simply collected. Unfortunately, she passed away and her husband had the BEST idea about how to use up her things and glorify her work. He held several sales of her quilts (after he took what he wanted) and her stash and her collections and all of the money is used for SCHOLASHIPS for children in need. People loved her work and paid for it. Not only did her work go to people who "get it" but the money for it goes to help others. I believe quilting is NOT a waste in any way. If your daughter doesn't "get it", forgive her, and set up a scholarship fund trust for your work and stash to be sold and used for something you believe in. Think of the love you get from quilting, the love someone else will get from buying (and supporting a cause) and the joy of the people you will help. Keep quilting and send your love of it through your work and good deeds.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM

there are so many deserving kids that would enjoy receiving a quilt. Cancer patients, kids p/u by police.child welfare,etc. Besides making quilts is almost a lost art, yea you can buy them,but it's not the same. Keep on quilting and don't listen to what others have to say. Besides, it's good therapy. You are doing what you love, keep on doing it and don't feel guilty or selfish, Gods' blessings.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM

When I was deciding whether to buy a new machine about 8 years ago my son thought I probably shouldn't since his daughters were "getting to the age where they didn't want homemade things." I pointed out I had a sewing life for 45 years before they were born, and I still had a life apart from grandchildren. I got the machine and have made a lot of people (and myself) happy and stay too busy to meddle in their lives. Keep quilting.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:49 AM

I agree your Daughter doesn't get it.
Have the garage sale to recoup some or all your money.
The ones that don't sell or that you think are not up to your
standards could be taken to a shelter.
I'm sure you are being hard on yourself, positive all the quilts are wonderful. :thumbup: :) :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Please don't think that no one wants your quilts! Wven if you don't think them worthy, someone out there wants them. I make lap quilts for a nursinghome where my dad lived for 6 yrs untill he passed. They are very appreciative of them. There are several groups who make quilts for our soldiers returning from the war. I plan to do that as soon as I get my machine back up and running. There is also a group that makes quilts for children in Ethiopia. There are some groups who send you the fabrics for quilting and some groups who send quilt tops. You should be able to quilt till your eyes fall out and hands fall off with all the places out there who want quilting! linda
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Another few words....I spent my life doing for others. Raised 3 kids almost alone, cared for both my parents till they passed,(my dad was 102) cared for a sister till she passed. Now I am almost old (71) and it is time for me to do what I want to do. Quilt and make dolls. My DH fully supports what I do and he has his own things he likes to do. I don't care if anyone likes my dolls or quilts, I like them and that is all that matters. My quilt guild makes and donates quilts to a place called My Fathers House every christmas and last year we gave the excess to Santa Red & Blue which is a local thing. Now we are making pillow cases for charity. SOMEONE out there wants your quilts!!!!!! linda
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Make wheel chair quilts...same as baby quilts but maybe a little longer. Nursing homes would love them...there are so many in the nursing homes that are forgotten. I use to work in one so many years ago...I am sure they would love them...hey and you could even go and visit a few of the folks there. Many do not get visitors.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM

You don't need to feel guilty about your wonderful art!
If people don't get it, it's their loss. I've lived long enough (65 plus 15 years experience:))that by now I'm not nearly as nice as most of you in my treatment of "well-meaning" relatives and friends when they attempt to tell me what I should be doing. If you're enjoying what you do, you don't owe your daughter or anyone else an explanation. Don't let comments like that keep you from living your life and doing what you enjoy....let them sort it out after you're gone!

rusty
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM

You could donate them to a hospice. They always appreciate quilts and the family has something to remember their loved one with.