Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 AM

My daughter lost her first child as a full term still birth. All she ever wanted was to be a Mom. We never know until we are in that position how any act of kindness helps. There are children still born and miscarriages at our hospitals all the time. Call the hospital to see if you can make quilts for these devasted Moms.
My daughter is going through a terrible divorce after 20 years with 3 teenage children. No home 2 part time jobs. She is determined to make it on her own as she was the one to leave. I am making her a kisses and hugs quilt. Her whole persona on life is in the depths of hell. Maybe I can get through to her with my quilt. I won't care if she love it ,cuts it up or runs over it with her car. I know in the end she will remember my love in her sorrow.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Oh Wow, I can't believe your daughter would say that. My kids all have several quilts each and love them. I know they would accept more if I give them to them, happily. Anyway, most of the quilts I make don't have a home. I agree with everyone else, its something you enjoy, consider it your therapy. I just love to quilt and sew almost every day. I belong to 3 quilt guilds and we all make and donate quilts to different organizations, battered women shelters, hospitals, etc. You can always find organizations that will be so grateful for your work. We have a huge collection of thank you notes from people/organizations that will bring tears to your eyes. We just don't realize how easy we have it. Having your own quilt is quite a luxury for some people that don't have anything, kids especially. They are the ones who will truly treasure a quilt to call their own. Keep on quilting!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Your DD needs a spanking even if she is too old for one!!! Who made her the quilt police???? Everyone needs a quilt so keep rolling em out honey and enjoy it....
Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 AM

When asked who I was making a quilt for I answered "ME". As far as who will get it after its finished--I don't know. I'll enjoy it for a while and then give it away for sell it. Like you, my pleasure is in the making, seeing it come together and knowing I did it. If it is hard for you to part with your quilts just remember, someone you don't know and will never meet is wrapped in the love you created. I can see your daughter hurt you by her comment but I'm hoping it wasn't meant that way. Tell her what you told us, I hope she hugs you and says I didn't mean it that way. Meanwhile, finish that American Jane baby quilt-I love that fabric-and then start on the next one. We can't always explain the things that make us happy and content.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 AM

I love this idea!!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM

the small quilting guild that I did belong to, asked for quilts to be given to the local police department and the fire dept., to be given to accident victins and others needing encouragement. Might be a thing that your local depts, might need. So keep on quilting and enjoying yourself. mary
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM

What about donating to women's shelter? the child's charity thing that I can't remember the name of? Nursing home patients love lap quilts? Some of the police/fire departments can use them for a child that has been in a traumatic situation? Keep doing what you love. If you look, you can find someone that could use a quilt.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM

It is your life, and you only live once. Please don't listen to your daughter, if you enjoy quilting, you should keep doing it.
You can always donate some of the quilts you made to be auctioned off for charity.
Of sell them on Ebay.

A quilting mind is a busy mind, which keeps you healthy and alert.
You go girl.
June
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Don't ever give up what you love or what makes you happy! Life is way to short...we never know what 2marrow will bring. I don't think any one would not like something made from the heart like a quilt. There are hundreds of places for donations call any church or fire dept. There is always a need.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:28 PM

If you build it THEY WILL COME! They could also be sold at quilt shows, thus financing future projects. It's good to have gifts at the ready when the occasion arises.