Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Just let your daughter know this is YOUR HOBBY and you enjoy it. There are many other addictions that cost money but there is no lovely return like a quilt. Like other people said, if she doesn't get it so what!!! It is YOUR life and YOUR enjoyment and that is all that counts. I have made quilts for family members and just make quilts because I like them. If my children didn't like it so be it. I could be gambling, drinking, doing drugs or be the town whore. Our hobby is one of the best. People knit, crochet, scrap book and rubber stamp and these hobbies cost money too. Just tell her I love to quilt and I'm going to continue. Take the suggestions of donating and leaving instructions on what to do with your quilts once you are gone. There are many many charities that would love to have them.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM

I have tons of quilts not made by me. my mil was a quilter and made quilts for all my kids and my husband and me. We also have her quilts and antique quilts passed down thru family. i don't "need" to quilt but I want to make quilts. It is my mental therapy. I find joy in completing a quilt as well as during the designing and finding fabric. There are many who would love to have your quilts. Keep quilting.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM

everyone that replied to you is absolutely right..so i wont repeat..please please do not stop quilting or feeling guilty..there are hundreds of women out there that would love to be in your shoes..
Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Your daughter just doesn't have any interest in what you do, so she doesn't understand your intense interest and love of quilting, but when she gets older she will. just keep up your quilting, someone will appreciate them! i sew, i love to sew, just about anything, my grandchildren just keep thinking of more and more things for me to make, especially blankets! i need to tell you a story, a child very young and very very close to me, we thought was being molested, so we took her to the doctors to be examined, it was very traumatic for her and us, the nurse came out with a QUILT, it wasn't fancy, it didn't have child pictures on, actually it was kind of plain, she gave it to this child, and the child held on to it during the exam. believe it or not this child still has and sleeps with this quilt, 9 years later. so please keep sewing, and i know for a fact that the elderly would like them too!!!!!! Kathy
Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Keep on quilting, you deserve to have something you enjoy to do. A suggestion as to what to do with your quilts, I donate some of mine to the volenteers at the Cancer Hosp. and they can sell or raffle them to raise money for progams at the hospital. Or donate them to any local service groups for fundraising. Just don't give up on your love of quilting.
:thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM

I agree - your daughter just doesn't understand what quilting means to you. My Mom has said something similar to me - she's "inundated" with quilts and doesn't want any more. I've made her one lap quilt, a kitty wall-hanging and a Christmas wallhanging. So, I've just crossed her off my list of receipients and continue to make quilts and give them to Project Linus, Wounded Warrior program, as donations for local causes silent auctions, for people I know will appreciate them, and for myself and DH as well. It's a wonderful hobby and one that makes you happy and satisfied - KEEP ON QUILTING!!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 PM

My daughter doesn't get it either, I just ignore it. The irony is that her 13 yr old daughter gets it.

I also have started making quilts for charity, I am on my third one for Jan (someone gave the link earlier) , she is collecting quilt tops or finsihed quilts for the military in Afghanistan, lets me do what I like and I hope it makes a difference to some one. I don't think my quilts are show worthy by any means but they are made with love.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! You don't do it for nothing, you do it for you. If you are worried about the waste, why not donate them to the fire department (not the one that watches houses burn) for fund raisers for equipment? Or the local Hospital for Children? The police in some areas, take them to calls, where children may be frightened, to be a friendly hug during stress. I'm sure there are places that would love to use your artistic endeavors for fund raisers. Try making prayer shawls, or giving them away at nursing homes. Don't give up what you love, use them to leave your legacy to the world in a meaningful way...Pay it forward. :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Keep on Quilting. Enjoy your hobby. I am sure your daughter has something that she really enjoys doing. or some type of hobby. Do you have other children who might enjoy more quilts. I was thinking of the post about Jan in Va. and her request for quilts for our service personnel Also there is always a need for bedding with people who lose their homes to floods, fires, or other natural disasters. Homeless shelters, etc. Hospitals with SPECIALITY CLINICS can use quilts. Our local hospital hs a unit for dialysis and they can always use quilts, they must be unused however. How about St. Jude's or some hospital with cancer patients. Don't give up your love of quilting, because your daughter thinks there isn't anyone else who would want our quilts. Any of us on the board would love them. I really like the idea of a quilt garage sale or something like that . Donate to your local Sr. Citizens group for a raffle for something they need. There are so many things you could do with them.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM

I't saddens me to read your story, what I would give to see my mom one more time quilting, knowing how much she enjoyed it. I think if you are not neglecting other things that are important and your not asking your daughter for money, then go for it. You keep doing what you enjoy. And if you need someone to send a quilt or two too, I have a son and a daughter, who would love them. Lord Bless You!!!