Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sharpening cutting boards >

sharpening cutting boards

sharpening cutting boards

Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 AM

Let us know how you like it.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 AM

You can go to nancysnotions.com It is called True Cut Rotary Blade Sharpener and it sells for $29.99 I'm pretty sure this is what your looking for.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:13 AM

Yes, I just got one of these and it does work. I had a blade in my 45mm cutter that needed a little help. It would cut OK, but I always had that one or two threads that it skipped. By the time I was done doing some cutting, it is good as new. I got the 6 1/2 x 12 and the price was around $17.00 or $18.00 dollars.
Can't remember what the cost of regular rulers are, but I do think they are worth it.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 AM

I bought them, tried them, and sent them back. Maybe I don't know how to use them properly but they felt "scratchy", and it just seemed like the cutter didn't glide smoothly. As far as I'm concerned they are not worth the money.
Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i was in my local quilt store the other day and they had cutting boards that said they sharpen your rotary blade when you cut with them I don't remember the brand - but has anyone used these and do they work?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:54 AM

I've come across info on this forum that you spray your fabrics. Is it after you wash, dry, and before pressing new fabrics brought into your sewing room? Or is it before making your quilt sandwich. When do you use spray starch?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I have this mat too, but the lines on mine do not measure correctly, or even square. I can't use them to line up a block at all, a big disappointment since that's what I bought it for. AND - it took me a while before I realized that the lines were not where they should be. Do you have the same problem with your mat?

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have the June Taylor press and cut mat and I love it. I keep it next to my machine and use it all the time, I haven't had a problem with the mat warping from the heat of the iron.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM

I have read concerning the diamond-dust sharpening edge that they begin leaving a "grit" after a short while. I envisioned that it would sharpen your blade from the side, but if you ran over one of those pieces of "grit," you'd now have a nick in the blade to deal with.

The short of it: I decided to pass.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I like my cutting ironing board.. I also have cutting board that swivels/totates so you don't have to move while cutting. You just rotate the cutting top.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i was in my local quilt store the other day and they had cutting boards that said they sharpen your rotary blade when you cut with them I don't remember the brand - but has anyone used these and do they work?
If I know what you are talking about it is not the cutting boards, it the rulers. Anyway that is what I saw at our fabric store.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:05 PM

If you remember who makes the cutting board that you can also iron on please pass the information on. I have always wondered with all the technology we have these days why someone has not come up with one. I have been thinking of making my own small pressing mat that I can sit on or next to my cutting board as I have a small space and need all the room I can get.

Judy in Michigan