Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM

I also disagree with your daughter. There are lots of organizations out there looking for quilts to give away. The Linus Project is just one of them. Perhaps your local nursing home could use them as lap quilts for people in wheelchairs or even on their beds. Around here, local police and fire departments always have kids quilts on hand in case of need of a child. Please do not stop quilting. Your daughter is not a quilter and does not understand the joy you get from it. Lots of people need the warmth of a quilt.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Project Linus! nursing homes for the washable sturdy ones.
or post them for sale on etsy.com or similar forum. They're more valuable than your DD thinks!

A friend made a quilt for each of 29 children in an orphanage she feels strongly about. The wonderful photos of each child as they disbelievingly receive their own quilt with their own name embroidered into a block are just priceless. No quilt police qualms there; they loved them!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Plenty of organizations would be pleased to get your quilts. I make more for people I don't know than I do for people I know.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM

I figure that I don't drink, smoke or gamble. I love to quilt, it is relaxing, gets rid of stress and is productive. If it makes you happy keep on truckin and ignore the negative comments.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM

Continue to do what you love. Your daughter just doesn't get it. I only give my quilts to people I know will appreciate them. You could also try the shelters for women/kids. They would love something homemade with the love you put into it!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM

If you have quilts you won't use, donate them.

To a church to raffle.

To a nursing home to someone who needs a hug.

To a Vet's hospital.

Baby quilts to all sorts of charities.

And keep up the good work!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM

more ideas................

Check with your local police. Around here, they like to keep a few small quilts in their cars for when they have calls where kids are out of their homes for whatever reason (fire, abuse, whatever). The blankets can keep the kids warm as well as give them something they can call their own in case they need to relocate.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
My daughter mentioned the same thing!!! I told her it was a LOT cheaper than a mental hospital. She said she didn't know what to do with them if I died...I said "Craigslist". She said it "costs sooooo much"....I told her I spend a LOT less per month than she does on her cigarettes. She got the hint.......... :mrgreen:
Please, please give them away yourself. You did the work, you deserve the gratitude of the recipients. There are plenty of places needing blankets
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 AM

I work with the elderly and can tell you having something you love outside of work is very important. Most of who I see have nothing to do - I mean nothing. Their time is spent with their thoughts and it would make me crazy. They don't get around well, have no interest in tv, live alone so they sit and wait for someone to come over to talk to. Never ever give up what you love to do. When you get older and retired you will have something that makes you want to get up in the morning and gives you joy. It will fill your days and keep your mind alive. It is so sad to see during the holidays someone counting how many there is till a person will be at their home.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Don't you dare give up something that makes you happy. I work with a quilt ministry and we make quilts for individuals in life-altering situations (illness, surgery, divorce, death) and it's been the most rewarding thing I've ever done. People taking chemo especially love having a quilt to take with them to snuggle under, there are elderly people in nursing homes who have little to no family and would love such a precious gift. There's so much joy in giving them away than putting them on the foot of your bed. Keep sewing and find someone to give them to that would brighten their day. You will be doubly blessed.