Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard? >

Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM

I agree about the stippling. I have been trying for quite some time to perfect and I have a long way to go. When I have looked at some of the stippling people have done on faces, it is totally awesome. Maybe some day I will have that kind of control. I really have trouble not crossing over previous stippling.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned

I think that it's easy to get into trouble with stippling when we try to make the stipples too small and too close together. To me it makes the stippled area too board-like and stiff. I did try some of the preprinted self-adhesive-on-the-edge sheets that you just sew over for large stippling to practice, but this was a total pain with paper stuck in the stitching afterwards, etc. Don't try these, is my advice. Just relax and practice until--suddenly, you'll get it! Take lots of breaks while you're practicing, too, to avoid getting too frustrated--practice for 1/2 hour and do something else for 1/2 hour. Let us know how you're doing with it, OK?

Dana
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Oh, one more thing--I found two things that really helped me with FMQ generally--making sure the bed of my machine is totally clean and waxed with a little Pledge so the quilt moves smoothly over it. Also, though they are more expensive than the garden gloves, I've found Machingers gloves IMMENSELY helpful not only for quilting but for sewing generally, and now I never sew anything without wearing them. They last a long, long time, are lightweight and comfortable, and if you eventually wear a hole on one of the gloves you can just change it to the other hand. I think they cost about $10 and worth every single penny!

Dana
Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM

not only do I think strippling is hard I have not been qable to conquer FMQ yet so I am still in the dark ages doing my hand quilting.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM

I had the same problem with stippling. I tried and tried. I read books and looked at others work and still, mine was horrible. I read a blog called Crazy Mom Quilts. She stipples like a mad woman. And...it's beautiful. I talked to her about it via email, and she did a video tutorial and put it in her sidebar on her blog. I watched it every day, several times, and followed her instructions, and low and behold....it worked! I recently stippled a king size quilt! Hope that helps you. Don't give it!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM

I have a Bernina BRS so I could stipple better and it's been a BIG disappointment.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't do it.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:49 PM

I think it just takes practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.
The more you do it the easier it becomes. Just think to keep changing directions. Slowly and a slight curve, but go in different directions. I find it harder to do a big stipple and easy to do little ones. I like to do curls and heart shape leaves.. Kind of a vine effect. then you are allowed to cross lines... A glass of wine would help, just relax and go.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 PM

You have a Springer Spaniel, I have two, have had 7 Springers in all, they are quite rare in Australia, a lovely breed of dog, mine are very spoilt, Everytime we visit the States we always see these lovely dogs, I always make their aquaintance.

Regards to your dog from my girls Rose and Celeste in Melbourne Australia.

Keep on quilting

Carol Wilson
Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I am a new quilter and am trying to teach myself to stipple. I have a Bernina BSR, so that should make the task easy. I find it very hard to make the stitches uniform in length, but even harder is how to "create" the stipple pattern. I've read tons of books that contain lots of good advice. I just finished practicing on 14 quilt sandwiches (about 22 x 22 inches each) that will eventually become Christmas stockings, and my stippling has improved about 1 percent.

I am such a linear thinker with not a creative bone in my body and I'm wondering if I will ever catch on to this seemingly simple aspect of quilting.

Any advice? Is there such a thing as a personal stippling coach?
I am new at quilting and have been practicing FMQ (stipple) and I use the slider it works soooo great.The fabric just glides!I also use quilting gloves.
Also I was having trouble getting my foot pedal and hands in unison.So I took my foot pedal off and am just useing my start and stop button.I stipple until I get to the other side, stop, turn the fabric and go back across until I have finished.I have found it works 99% better.

I'm so glad I thought of the start button as I want to make my sistern law a memory throw for Christmas and jsut can't afford to have it sent out to be quilted.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 PM

I have not tried stippling yet, am delaying it because I'm not sure I can do and don't want to ruin the quilt. I am going to try on some potholders first; but like the idea of making it the shape of a dog bone! That I think I can do!!