Carol Doak's stars >

Carol Doak's stars

Carol Doak's stars

Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Nzm

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by Nzm
just gorgeous.. did you make the bargello too? Im getting hooked on both
Thanks! Yes, I did do the bargello. Here are another ones I did.
they are beautiful - such talent. Ive only done one so far, and a bargello jacket that Im working on. love the look.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by steelecg
Her DVD is excellent as well - I am not as crazy about her paper as it is not transparent enough and photocoping can distort the design - which brings me to my question about paper piecing - which paper do you use??
I use tracing paper not onionskin. I cut it down and put it through the copier. My copier(HP) does not distort, but I ALWAYS check the test square on each of my copies. It is strong and can handle a lot of "unsewing" :|
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jerrie1940
I found this book at a used book site and fell in love with it, so I wanted to share. I decided I would make all 50 state stars and make them into two throw quilts. IF :lol: I live that long. At least maybe get the tops made and let whoever do the quilting. :thumbup: Here is north Dakota:
WOW they are stunning !!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Beautiful star block. I'll have to get a copy of Carol Doak's book. Add another project to the growing list.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 AM

A few years ago when this book came out I was in a swap and I have a bunch of them done and they are BEAUTIFUL!! Would love to get into this when I finish the potholder swap I am in now which will be this week. I will pm u to sign up then, is that ok?
Tracy50
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM

I just use regular copy paper which tears off easily if you use a stitch 1.8 and a 90/14 needle.

Originally Posted by steelecg
Her DVD is excellent as well - I am not as crazy about her paper as it is not transparent enough and photocoping can distort the design - which brings me to my question about paper piecing - which paper do you use??
Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jerrie1940
I found this book at a used book site and fell in love with it, so I wanted to share. I decided I would make all 50 state stars and make them into two throw quilts. IF :lol: I live that long. At least maybe get the tops made and let whoever do the quilting. :thumbup: Here is north Dakota:
Carol Doak has a Yahoo group and there is a project the members are doing for her since she has taught in all 50 states - check out the photo section with the 50 state blocks. I did the Mississippi block and had fun finding the magnolia fabric.

If you join Carol's group you will find lots of support for new paper piecers - we all love to help with questions.

:lol: :lol:
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 PM

I love Carol Doak patterns. I have a couple of her books and I belong to her yahoo list. She gives frequent free block patterns. Such a generous person.

Obie
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Jerri, did you also get the DVD that has the patterns? All you do is choose the size and it will print the paper piecing patterns. COOL!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm from ND, but I know I could never make that block