Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carol Doak's stars >

Carol Doak's stars

Carol Doak's stars

Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mercedes Schmidt
I'm from ND, but I know I could never make that block
Oh yes you could! That's the beauty of paper piecing - the accuracy is pretty much assured!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM

WOW Nice! And good luck.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Oh this is giving me an idea of what to do with my mariner's compass I just located and decided I need to finish something with it. Keep it simple I guess. Nice.

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
This is a quilt I made from her Mariner's Star book. I have 2 other's but can't locate this pictures on my computer. Have to wait and get help when the kids get home!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM

I have that same book and planned an entire quilt around one of those stars, but I had the hardest time trying to get my printer to print on the June Taylor foundation paper. I finally got it printing, and tried the star and lost interest when a new quilting magazine came in the mail.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM

I bought that book on Amazon. A friend at my quilting group had it. I am in the progress at least 2 yrs now, lol of making a quilt from an old pattern with the fifty states. I have used crayons instead of fabric for applique for each state, bird and flower, and have done each state in trapunto type quilting. This old pattern also has the date each state came into the union and also the first 13 marked on the block of those states. There is also the outline of the U.S. Map, including Alaska and Hawaii., which I have done in trapunto style.
I bought the book you have to get the 50 stars to go on the back of each state it represents. I am also using crayons for those stars. In the center front, will be an outline of the 50 states, and on the back in that large space I am going to have all of the U.S. Flags, with the info of yr. they were adopted and Pres. that served under each flag. There are total 46 or 47 U.S. flags (Stars & Stripes, not state flags.) I can't remember at the moment. I love this book, and it is quite a challenge to do it in crayons, because of the floral fabric that was used in the book for different stars, but I am getting as close as possible in the colors. I hope to get this project done by next Fall for our local Fall Fair. I have stopped and worked on others too many times now. I have all of the 50 state blocks done, also outline of U.S. Map. I have most of the star blocks colored, but not quilted yet.
I love the book, and think anyone who buys it will too. If and when I ever get this quilt done, will post pics. Gerbie
Old 10-18-2010, 06:17 PM

It's a great book. I've done a few of the blocks. Enjoy.

Cynthia
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM
np3
Power Poster

Nice book!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 PM

Check this out, I have all these Carol Doak programs downloaded and love them. Costs about 15 $. It is a stand-alone program, does not need to have Quilt-Pro installed. Here's the site ( don't know yet how to make a link)

http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=Fo..._Fab_Mainpage.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM

I don't have the 50 Stars book yet, but I LOVE the Ohio star, so I will be getting the book! I also belong to Carol's yahoo group (hello, all you groupies) and here is what I did with one of her free patterns. These are coasters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-90428.jpe
Views:	205
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	90433  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM

i also recently picked up this book and used her CD-ROM for my class on paper piecing. Learned lots of new tips even though I have paper pieced quite a bit.