Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the quilt label??? >

the quilt label???

the quilt label???

Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 AM

I found a tute for printing with an ink-jet printer, directly onto fabric. Does this really work? It opens up all possibilites if it does! Who has tried this?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I found a tute for printing with an ink-jet printer, directly onto fabric. Does this really work? It opens up all possibilites if it does! Who has tried this?
I've done it before onto the treated fabric pieces you can buy at the quilt shop. I did a whole letter to someone on fabric and it came out nicely.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 AM

I usually print my label out on injet printer any info I want to include then use pigma pen to sign my name. Apply to lower right corner
Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 AM

Great idea... I think I will consider attaching mine upside down as well. I think that makes sense to flip it that way... even if you are sitting on couch and tried to read it that would be easier to read! =)

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I always did lower right, too, as that is generally where quilt shows have requested it be placed. But I have usually oriented it the same as the quilt; that is, the top of the label is faced toward the top of the quilt. Then I saw someone's quilt label that was faced what would look upside down while the quilt was hanging, but when you flip up the corner to read it, it was just right! I'm doing THAT from now on - especilly for wall hangings!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 AM

I'm so thankful someone posted this. I've been searching all morning for the woven labels that you can purchase for your handmade items. I've yet to find a single place where I can buy any labels. Several years ago I purchsed some of these, but now you have to make your own. the problem i have with this is, that my printer is an ink jet printer, if the item gets washed, the label will fade. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can actually purchase some premade?
Thanks
Gina
Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 AM

I machine embroider (1) the name of the quilt, (2) who it was made for, (3) my name, (4) the date finished and (5) the city and state I live in. I place the label on the lower right corner of the back and stitch it along with the binding. Then I hand stitch the two sides that are not caught up in the binding.
I think that the person who also writes the info on the quilt itself under the label (in *case* something happens to the label) has a very good idea, what with all the thefts of quilts and the changing of names and labels to take credit for work not done by the thieves. What a sorry statement of the society we live in now.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Your label is part of your personal history. Put as much information as you want--I put lots--with at least your name, the date and the location. I use Pigma pens on muslin. I border the muslin rectangles with a fabric from the quilt and put it on the lower left hand side of the back. But there are no rules. Do what you feel comfortable with. Just be sure you get that label on there!

froggyintexas
Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gina57
I'm so thankful someone posted this. I've been searching all morning for the woven labels that you can purchase for your handmade items. I've yet to find a single place where I can buy any labels. Several years ago I purchsed some of these, but now you have to make your own. the problem i have with this is, that my printer is an ink jet printer, if the item gets washed, the label will fade. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can actually purchase some premade?
Thanks
Gina
Gail-r from the board here did a label for me and it turned out very nice. Maybe she still does it. I've seen her in the classified section a few times.
:D
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 AM

I use a printed quilt label and put it on the back bottom right side. Since I am making Baby quilts for the great-grands (none of whom are born yet), I sign my "Nona" name, along with my full name and date the year I finished it. I always include "I love you very much". Each of the Mothers of this next generation will get to pick from my stash of Baby quilts. I know that all of my children and spouses have saved the quilts that I gave each of their children. All have been well used, some of which I have redone three times. That's exactly what I have hoped.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM

I always do mine on the top right. I figured they can be cozy under the quilt and glance at the quilt label, especially the quilts that I give my sisters, grandkids, brothers-family. For very special I hand embroider for most I use the Pigma pens , sometimes I will include a saying, Bible verse, beside all the other info. as to who,why and when.