Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM

most of the quilts I have made have some minor mistakes, and I can live with that. If however, there are some biggy, I rip and resew because I try to make them as well as possible. after all, It's just my hobby, and no one has said anything about a few cut off points or a misaligned seam yet. they just love my effort.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM

OH MATTEE! I do HEAR you girlfriend! When I was in highschool I LOVED TO SEW. Went to school for custom clothing design, and it was perfection, perfection, perfection. I no longer LOVED to sew. (And I was pretty good before College too.) By the time College and Clients finished with me, what had began as pure joy had become something different. It it just now it really appeals to again. My wise Uncle said someone advised him to be certain to save SOMETHING he enjoyed as "just a hobby" so it would not be spoiled for him. Seems like pretty good advise. THIS IS A HOBBY! ENJOY YOURSELF! : - D
Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 AM

About the unavailable video, go to the Sue Schamber website, this video is in the free area, ( basting your quilt), It is really neat, you use two boards and sort of role up your backing and top, and baste a small amount at a time, the boards hold everything tight. Hope you can find it, it is worth a look.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM

good enough is okay with me as long as there is enough fabric to catch in a quarter inch seam. What really drives me crazy though is to try and be so precise, only to have things not line up! so I remind myself constantly that "good enough" is realistic. I want to enjoy this!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Remember having the practice the piano until you had it down perfectly? Because of having to practice till I was "blue in the face", if there is mistake in my crocheting or quilting - I don't worry about it. I'm human and humans make mistakes. There is something in each of us that wants perfection, though...we need to quiet that monster!!!

Here's to many more desgn opportunities with our projects!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM

I was a calligrapher in another life and learn that most people are so amazed that you actually did it (calligraphy or quilting) that they don't know that it isn't perfect. The perfectionist in me wants a perfect quilt, however as I get tried (more so lately) the perfectionist is told to go away. It has taken me many years to shove her out the door.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 AM

I got this off the board some time ago: "Better to be finished and loved than to be perfect." I've never wanted anything that was wonderfully perfect it couldn't be enjoyed. Not new carpet, not a new car, not a new refrigerator...nothing.

My motto is "Get 'er done!" If people want perfection from me they will be waiting a long, long time.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I am signed up in a quilting class and after class 4 I have finally made it past the "I suck" stage. Last night, my instructor gave me praise. She said that I was improving lots and that my work is good. I was sooooo happy about the "good work" comment that I felt like a kid who got a gold star in class. For the first time, I am contemplating doing FMQ on a panel and I know that I will have to jump out of my comfort zone to pass something off that may not be real special. BUT it will have been done to the best of my ability at that time. Just had to share (again).
Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Hi,In answer to your question,good enough is good enough for me. I quilt to relax an destress and perfection would ruin it for me. I do try and do a good job but I do not nuts over every single seam being perfect. I give my quilts to family and friends and since they are gifts from the heart they seem to be loved.Plus not too many of my family or friends sew at all!!!so they think what I do is awesome,.Hope you can stay relaxed and enjoy your quilting.Amazing Grace
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM

I am "good enough" - I am at an age (going to be 70 in Nov) that the best for me is to get it done and not worry that much if one or two seams aren't quite where they should be. They are pretty, warm and comfortable. I live alone and it is fun for me to have quilting as a hobby. I have not yet made a full sized quilt, I do wall hangings and lap quilts which I enjoy. If I were younger, starting out quilting, I am sure that I would grow up with making less and less mistakes, learning how to avoid them, etc. :lol: