Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the quilt label??? >

the quilt label???

the quilt label???

Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM

I bought some pre-made labels at my LQS that are printed on good quality muslin. They have cute sewing machines and different designs around the machines. You can color them with brush tip dye pens. They're kinda big..about 5.5" by 4.5" but very nice. They come six to a package, all on one piece of fabric so you can hoop them for embroidery if you want. The design is by Lonna Nachtigal and the pattern publisher is Block Party Studios, Inc. in Nevada, Iowa. There's no website shown on the package. I haven't used them yet, but will soon.

I've also seen fabric on a bolt that had pre-printed labels ready to be signed.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM

I'm glad to see this discussion and I have a question on labels too: Has anyone sort of hidden the label? I'm thinking of placing the label inside a sort of flap that buttons closed so that you can open it up and see the label or leave it closed and have everything matching on the backing. I'm thinking of this 'cause I want the quilt to be reversible. Think this would work?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Hi, I was wondering where you buy the Pigma pens? I have not heard of them. I made a label using my injet printer, on a quilt I made for our granddaughter in college, but the label didn't hold up. (Lots of washings). I would like to replace it with a better label.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM

I see the pigma pens in the scrapbooking section of a hobby store.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Only one thing to add. Sew your label on the backing by machine, before you sandwich the quilt. Pre plan, of course.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM

I haven't used them yet, but I just ordered them online from Amazon.com. To find them, I searched their site for "Pigma pens".

Originally Posted by Marcine
Hi, I was wondering where you buy the Pigma pens? I have not heard of them. I made a label using my injet printer, on a quilt I made for our granddaughter in college, but the label didn't hold up. (Lots of washings). I would like to replace it with a better label.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM

I posted earlier about some pre-printed labels I found at my LQS. There was no website shown on the packaging, but I opened them to use one and there it was: http://www.blockpartystudios.com
They have all kinds of pre-printed labels and fabric panels. I like the one that says "I only have a kitchen because it came with the house."
Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I found a tute for printing with an ink-jet printer, directly onto fabric. Does this really work? It opens up all possibilites if it does! Who has tried this?
I started ink jet printing my labels last year and have decided that is what I like. I also want to learn how to put designs on them, but so far all I do is write information. :)
Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 PM

My understanding is that if you want the computer printing on labels to last, you need to pre-treat the fabric with a product like Bubble Jet Set (search for it online) and then after printing, use something like Retayne to set the ink.

Even when using a pen, it might help to "set" the ink by ironing the label after it's made.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by running1
Veterans, could you comment on your quilt labels? Is there a "traditional" location for the label? What do you always include? Is it embroidered or can one use the ink pens for quilting? Is a regular "permanent" sharp-point marker ok to use? hmmm If I've left something out, please comment anyway?
Thank you!!!
My friend gave me about 250 labels with my name embroidered on them for my birthday a few years back. Extra - special quilts have this sewn on the back, bottom right hand corner.