Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM

My quilts are good, not great. I make for family members only and they all just love them. I do my share of ripping but not because I want it perfect, just because I want it to not be upside down or wrong side out!! I'm sure you're not alone.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Just remember some fabrics look pretty cool upside down and wrong side out
Originally Posted by katyquilter
My quilts are good, not great. I make for family members only and they all just love them. I do my share of ripping but not because I want it perfect, just because I want it to not be upside down or wrong side out!! I'm sure you're not alone.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 PM

I agree with so many people on this board. I use to be a perfectionist, but I have learned to relax and let go. For project where I have applied my perfectionist mentality - well they languished and never got finished (or took forever to do so). I know consider all my quilts to be part of my quilting journey - the good, bad and sometimes ugly :)

I've learned to accept them, as myself - imperfect, flawed, but beautiful.

As mentioned before - I would rather my quilts were used and loved, than "too perfect" to use.

I really wish that I had a few hand crafted items from my grand mother (long since departed) - I wouldn't have cared how perfect/imperfect they were. I would just love something hand crafted with love.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM

if my quilts had to be perfect, no one would ever see them. I would probably not finish them either. someone on this board coined the term "Cozy Quilter" that describes me and probably a few others on here as well. Besides if i m ade a perfect quilt-no one would be good enough to use it! :)
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Good enough is fine. I see the mistakes, but the people I give them to do not. My DH tells me that is the little imperfection that lets everyone know it is handmade
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM

I used to have to have "perfect" but have decided most people that get the quilts as a gift don't know whether it is perfect or not. They are just glad to have something to wrap up in and keep them warm. Sooo, "good enough" is now my byline. I still admire folks that make beautiful quilts but I have more to do with my time than sit and tear things out and resew. I only rip if I have something in the wrong place.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 PM

I have a sign hanging in my sewing room that says
DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT!!! I do live by this motto, though I do strive to get it as close to perfect as I can.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM

I think for me it depends on the context. If it's for a customer, then yes, perfect is worth striving for. If it's for a kid who's just going to love it to death, then good enough is good enough.

However, my favorite thing to say is "if it looks good from a galloping horse, then it's fine."
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by rrquilter
I think for me it depends on the context. If it's for a customer, then yes, perfect is worth striving for. If it's for a kid who's just going to love it to death, then good enough is good enough.

However, my favorite thing to say is "if it looks good from a galloping horse, then it's fine."
LOL Robin! I just love that saying! :lol:

For me "perfection" is not obtainable...I've accepted that. I try to do the best I can with the talents and tools I have available to me. For instance...I don't quilt on the machine...I tie all of my quilts the traditional way...so therefore they don't turn out like the next guy's quilt might...but that's okay. The last quilt I made, I strove for perfection...drove me nuts! I was sooo glad to give it away! Don't want it around me anymore! Now that's stressful and sad...I don't like those feelings.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Some times you can't help but make a mistake. Some times I correct it and some times I just leave it, if it isn't real noticeable.