Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else ok with "good enough" >

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Anyone else ok with "good enough"

Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM

I never intentionally do anything to stress myself out. Quilt your very best and let it go at that. That way it does not become a stressful chore.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM

A while ago I posted a pic, made on this computer, that showed what I had planned for my son's golf quilt. After the accident I had, and finding out I still had the memories of sewing and the intense desire, I figured the errors were in the 'good enough' catagory. I tend to think about what I can do, not what I lost.
Looking back, that's how I've lived my life, my kids accomplichments were good enough (certainly braggable), I've been married for 29 years to a man whohas been 'good enough' but perfect for me, and where we've lived since we got married is 'good enough' making us see that attitude is what's needed in these econimic times. In quilting, as in other areas of life, 'good enough' reduces stress and makes life so much more enjoyable.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM

well said
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
I am never satisfied with the quality of my quilts. I really do try hard but they just never turn out the way I want. I would love to just quilt and be happy with the results, whatever they are. It does take the pleasure out of it.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 PM

I quilt to relax and to see how far my creativity will go. -i try to make perfect quilts only to discover much later when my quilt is folded and on the shelf or ready to be given that there is a flaw
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2010, 02:45 PM

I have been a perfectionist all my life; but, with quilting I have learned that some times good enough is the right way to go. I continue to try to be perfect; but, this medium of expression has taught me something. There are times when you just can't be perfect. It's a life lesson that I have now incorporated into my life. At 62 it's hard to change; but, quilting [to honor the fact I learned to sew through my materal grandmother -- quit the "making clothes" (that I hated)] I have developed a new perspective. I love the sewing. I hated the way the clothes I made felt (when I was in my teens). I've been gathering fabric to make blouses since I can't find any I like any more. My first (not finished) was a disaster since the pattern for my size wasn't my size. (didn't bother to check measurements -- times have changed, obviously, you have to check the measurements) It was perfect (yes); but too small when I tried it on before the sleeves. Learned another life lesson -- the 1960's patterns aren't the 2009 patterns.
Originally Posted by Mattee
I spend a lot of time admiring everyone's beautiful work on this board. I am amazed at the stunning artistry of so many of this community's quilts. I have to admit, however, that I'm not sure I fit in.

When I am making a quilt, I often settle for "good enough." I quilt to relax, and because I love wrapping up in a cozy quilt. If I'm trying to make it perfect, it becomes stressful. I don't stress over mismatched seems, points that don't match, blocks that are a bit crooked or slightly different sizes, or any of the other issues that I know many of you go to great lengths to make perfect. The only thing that annoys me is bunched backing, but that's because I don't have any space to baste properly, so the lack of space annoys me more than anything.

So, what about it? Am I alone? Are there any others out there that notice errors and keep going anyway without ripping out seems? Do any of you make quilts that have quite a few obvious errors, and you chalk it up to "personalization" and "being unpredictable?"
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM

I quilt for enjoyment and if a seam is not perfect its okay. My Dad, bless him, would always find my mistakes and I miss that now that he is gone. I like my quilts to be used and loved for the way they are. So far they do.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Is "good enough" good enough? I think it all depends on YOUR defination of what good enough is. As we each have our own expectations as to what is "good enough".

Each and every one of the quilts I make are PERFECT.. for me at the time I made them and to the level of my experience at that time. Are they "perfect" in having ALL the seams match, points sharp etc... probably not. But at the time I made them, I did the best I could do, and that is always PERFECT.

I decided early on in my quilting life, that I would like to increase my abilities to the point where one of my quilts would be "good enough" to enter into a show. With each quilt I make, I work on improving my skills in at least ONE aspect of the quilt.. wether it be selecting the colors, cutting out the fabric, sewing it back together, or doing the actual quliting. If I'm not happy with the quality I'm producing at the time based on my abilities, then no, it's not good enough. If I'm doing my best, and it looks "perfect" to me, then that is all that matters. Because I want to improve with each quilt... as long as I'm learning something from each one I make, then that quilt is PERFECT, because it took me one step further on my quest of making a quilt "good enough" to enter into a show.

So based on MY defination of what "good enough" is.. then I have a long way to go before I reach "good enough"... but on that journey... I'm creating perfection to the best of my ability at that time.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 PM

I thought I was the only one that intentionally left something unquilted. Thank you. I made a "house" quilt and left one of the chimney's unquilted. You know 10 years later I went back and quilted that chimney! Thanks for the memory.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 PM

i also sew it relaxes me the whole world goes away and i am in a happier place when i sew i do try to match seams but hey if it doesnt it doesnt i do everything i sew from the heart i pick every fabric and pattern with some i care for in mind so they love it i love it and all is happy good enough for me