Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machines >

Sewing machines

Sewing machines

Old 12-13-2006, 11:29 AM

I have had several machines and the one i like the best is my Pfaff. I actually have two, an older jeans and satin that does everything, very heavy duty machine, sews heavy items. I traded my 7500 series for a 2144. Yes, it was expensive, but it is worth every penny if you sew a lot. I especially like the dual feed system, (walking foot). IT is the only machine that i know of that you can have the dual feed engaged and still use a quilters guide.

I have never had an issue with service, custormer service is always a phone call or email away.

My suggestion is try them at the store to get exactly what you want. Most sewing centers will take the time and work with you, allow you to sew and try.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the advice Pebs, I went off to a sewing machine center this morning for a trial - and came back with a Janome DC3050. Can't wait to use it now but it's a Christmas present for me from my husband so I guess I'll have to wait a while!!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:30 AM

Pauline, we must've been bit by the same bug! The Janomes really wowed me too. I totally overdid it at the local shop and came home with Monstro the Wonder Machine this past Wednesday, the 6600P. If you end up half as thrilled as I am, you'll be bouncing off the walls! You'll love Janome. :D I checked out Viking, Baby Lock, Singer and Bernina and Janome was the one that grabbed me.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:18 AM

Hi. Gals: I was reading your emails and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I had a Phaff for 25 years and this time I bought Janome 10001. I was terrified of it at first and whished I haden't spent so much money, But every day I sit at it after 2 years I find out a new wonderous thing it does. The more I use it the more I love it, so good luck with your machines.. When I told the sales lady after I bought mine that I was afraid of it.. she gave me this advice that I am passing on to you. dont be affraid of it, sit at it as often as you can and play, experiment you cant hurt it and it wont break :wink: its a tough old girl and can take anything you can give it Good Luck Chris
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 AM

Hi Gayle:
I'm so sorry you aren't getting good service from your dealer and that you don't like your Janome. I wonder if you maybe got the "lemon" that people talk about often when they buy a car that has nothing but problems and becomes a money pit. We once had friends who worked in the car making factories who said all year they would build cars and any defective parts went into a warehouse but at the end of the model year people would order last year model new cars AFTER the new year models came out so the factory maybe wouldn't have all the parts they needed to build the custom last year's model car so they'd go to the "cull parts" warehouse to get the parts needed. Maybe your machine was built at the end of the year. . . Just a thought.

I have a New Home Memory Craft 8000 that I've had for 15 years and I love it...only problem I've had is the light went out and that was expense to replace. I also have a "White" machine that is over 100 years old that my grandmother made her living on as a dressmaker after her husband died back in the late 1800's early 1900's. It still works like a champ.

Last year I bought an inexpensive Brother machine model XR65t ($169.00) with all the embroidery stitches for classes and quilt guild. I LOVE IT. I actually like the look of the embroidery stitches from the Brother better than from my very expensive Memory Craft altho I'm NOT complaining about my Memory Craft. It does a great job, too. I think the New Home/Memory Craft is made by Janome.

What I dread...I'm not good at putting on bias tape or binding on a quilt. I have arthritis so handwork bothers me and when I put bias tape on by machine it always looks like a mess when I'm done. I always dread that part of quilt making and crafts (potholders).

Merry Christmas...keep on sewing.
Randy
Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 AM

I have a 1926 singer, a 1957 singer, a 60's slant needle singer, and a 1970 kenmore. I love them all. They have zig zag and decorative stiches, I have a botton holer, and a monagrammer, I seem to do more straight sewing than anything :D Only thing I need is more time to use them.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 PM

I have a 20 year old bernina that I love it is a 1000 special ( now a 1008). And I too would like an additional one with all the bells and whistles. I would love a walking foot and BSR.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:28 PM

After having read all of the verbage regarding sewing machines, I can tell you that I have three, yes three Janome machines. My first one was a basic Janome with appx. 15 stitch modes. My second one was the Janome 6600 Memory Craft. My third one is the Janome Memory Craft Compulock five thread serger. I absolutely love all three! The 6600 came with many different feet and attachments/tools. You can do just about everything with it. The serger is the bomb! It can do everything. However, everyone has their own taste and preference; just as in food, clothing, etc. Therefore, go to many different sewing stores and let them show you what each different brand can to, test drive them yourself, as you would a car before you buy. THEN, decide which brand works best for you BEFORE you buy. Hope this helps. :D :-)
Old 07-22-2007, 06:06 PM

Just came across this post. I, too, have two New Home/Janome MX3123. and a Janome serger. Love them. None were expensive machines. As I don't do the machine embroidery that my friends do, mine have 22 different stitches and some other things. My sewing is mostly straight stitching, well thats my 2 cents. :mrgreen: :)
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM

I did a lot of research before buying my Pfaff last year and I love it :-)

However I did something unusual, mine is an older one, a creative 1471
I bought it off of Ebay from a sewing machine dealer in my state so I could go there if I had to. Hasn't happened yet tho. Mine was totally reconditioned and had a warranty too

A friend who quilts got a new sewing machine from her DH and he went to the store and asked which machine never came in for repairs and that's the one he bought. :-)

You can also get Pfaff manuals on Ebay.

Marybeth