Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about making potholders... >

? about making potholders...

? about making potholders...

Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i know one lady who makes pot holder and she uses old terry towels she cuts up and folds for the center. they work great, hold up to many many washings and i never burn my fingers using one she made. lots of people just use warm & natural, a couple layers, some people use a third layer of fabric, maybe flannel then the batting...and some go buy the special stuff. it is certainly your choice what you use. just be careful not to use any polyester, batting or fabric blends; they can melt when they get too hot.
i am no good at making potholders and have given up...mine always burn your fingers and i even tried the insulbrite stuff...so i gave up making them i admire anyone who can make a cool potholder.

That makes sense. I fold a dish towel over about 4 thicknesses and use it if I can't find a pot holder. I think thickness is what counts the most.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 PM

If you machine wash an old wool sweater it felts up nice and thick and can be cut apart to make batting for potholders.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM

I read on a crochet site( freecrochet.com) that wool is a really good insulator for pot holders. Therefor I suggest using old cut up sweaters. Of course they would have to be real wool,but you never know what you might find in the thrift stores,maybe old wool skirts and suit jackets,slax or jackets. You might even find some that would look really cozy and warm for the wintery kitchen.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I see some one else thought of the sweater.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM

i just made some pot pinchers that i will give for christmas and with a layer of warm and natural on each side, top and bottom, and lined with denim, they are just right.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM

What a great idea...instead of throwing out my old towels I will use them for the middle of my potholders!!
Originally Posted by ckcowl
i know one lady who makes pot holder and she uses old terry towels she cuts up and folds for the center. they work great, hold up to many many washings and i never burn my fingers using one she made. lots of people just use warm & natural, a couple layers, some people use a third layer of fabric, maybe flannel then the batting...and some go buy the special stuff. it is certainly your choice what you use. just be careful not to use any polyester, batting or fabric blends; they can melt when they get too hot.
i am no good at making potholders and have given up...mine always burn your fingers and i even tried the insulbrite stuff...so i gave up making them i admire anyone who can make a cool potholder.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM

Like this idea too!!!! You gals are smart and this also would be great for the batting of table runners, I am making a bunch to donate....this would be perfect!
Originally Posted by lucyb
I read on a crochet site( freecrochet.com) that wool is a really good insulator for pot holders. Therefor I suggest using old cut up sweaters. Of course they would have to be real wool,but you never know what you might find in the thrift stores,maybe old wool skirts and suit jackets,slax or jackets. You might even find some that would look really cozy and warm for the wintery kitchen.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 AM

I use 2 layers of Warm and Natural, uses up the small pieces. Have not tried the Insulbrite but want to make an ironing cover for an old TV tray for quick pressing. Potholders are a good way to try out a new block pattern.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM

I use the scraps of what I recover an ironing board with, and a layer of W & N
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM

I would use this special insulating fabric called InsulBrite, it is sold by the yard at JoAnnes and at Walmart, if the one near you still sells fabric. I have made many potholder hot pad fabric trivets and have even sold them on Ebay. I use pre-quilted plain color fabric, for the extra batting and plain color, that's the bottom piece.

The middle is a piece of Insulbrite, with the shiny side facing the 100% cotton print fabric you are using, which is the top layer. Only 3 pieces ready to quilt together for a potholder. Then seam binding all the way around and a small loop for hanging, and you are done in about an hour. from Deborah, Phoenix, AZ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-95307.jpe
Views:	222
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	95312