Recipe box

Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM

When my mother-in-law passed away, I was given the opportunity to choose something of hers to have as my own in her memory. I chose her 2 boxes of recipe cards....and it is something I treasure and will pass on to my daughters. She had some great old fashioned family recipes in there.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by cherryberry
One of the things I got at an estate sale i just went to was a recipe box full of hand written favorite recipes. It made me sad that no one in the family wanted to keep them. The recipes included "Aunt Bessie's Chocolate Cake," "Susan's delicious Meatloaf", etc. Someone in that family will surely want to carry on the tradition of making some of these recipes some day, don't you think? I know I have favorite recipes past down from my great grandmother and grandmother. Do you keep recipes written by your relatives? I even enjoy just looking at their handwritingon those old recipe cards. it fills me with wonderful memories of time spent with them.

I've got all the recipes from my hubby's two aunts. No one else in the family wanted them. I don't use most of them, but I've got 'em.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Google Goddess

that sounds good, my mom used to make a goulash with tomato soup, I will ask her for the recipe

I just surfed and found the recipe

http://www.food.com/recipe/ground-beef-goulash-86858

Originally Posted by luv-e
I wish I had some recipes from my mother. Sweet Darling sister wouldn't let me even look through them!!!!!!Especially the goulash recipe. It had Gr. Meat and made with tomato soup. I really miss that recipe. :{
Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 PM

You know this just goes to show again how alike we quilters are. We all treasure ...memories and things that bring those memories to mind like our quilts and even our grandmother's recipes. I think we know how to appreciate what's REALLY important!!! :)
Old 10-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Those recipies sound faboulous - can you post them for us quilters who also love to cook.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
bj

Originally Posted by KarenR
Those recipies sound faboulous - can you post them for us quilters who also love to cook.
There is a recipe section on this board if you haven't checked it. You have to click on Quilting Forum and it pulls up a menu of all the different things available. There are some awesome recipes in there.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by cherryberry
You know this just goes to show again how alike we quilters are. We all treasure ...memories and things that bring those memories to mind like our quilts and even our grandmother's recipes. I think we know how to appreciate what's REALLY important!!! :)
So very true!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 AM

I inherited my gram's and mom's recipes. One year I started putting them in the computer, even some of the newspaper clippings she had clipped out. After putting them neatly in sections, like pies, cakes, main entrees, etc. I printed them out. I gave them as Christmas gifts to my sister and cousins. I refer to them often and even saw one of the recipes in the latest issue of the Costco magazine. The recipe was for refrigerator potatoes and my gram had the clipping from a South Dakota paper from years and years ago.
Barb
Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by luv-e
I wish I had some recipes from my mother. Sweet Darling sister wouldn't let me even look through them!!!!!!Especially the goulash recipe. It had Gr. Meat and made with tomato soup. I really miss that recipe. :{
What a heartbreak that your sister won't share. I feel for you.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by barb12makeitsew
I inherited my gram's and mom's recipes. One year I started putting them in the computer, even some of the newspaper clippings she had clipped out. After putting them neatly in sections, like pies, cakes, main entrees, etc. I printed them out. I gave them as Christmas gifts to my sister and cousins. I refer to them often and even saw one of the recipes in the latest issue of the Costco magazine. The recipe was for refrigerator potatoes and my gram had the clipping from a South Dakota paper from years and years ago.
Barb
wonder if you'd share the recipe for refrigerator potatoes. Sounds interesting. and I love taters! Thanks. I did a quick search for them, but did not come up with anything. :(