Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else not able to quilt because of... >

Anyone else not able to quilt because of...

Anyone else not able to quilt because of...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:09 PM

When the tendonitis has resolved, then you need to think about how your are ergonomically doing your rotary cutting: cut at about counter top height, not your dining room table. Have the cutting mat close to you and the fabric as close to you as the mat. Don't cut too long at a time.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

I had tennis elbow last fall. I got it after holding too many fabric bolts in my outstretced arm!!! I couldn't believe how incapacitated it made me! I had some friends that had experienced tennis elbow, and they recommended buying the high end brace, as the mid range doesn't hold up as well. They also said DO THE EXERCISES! Little did I know how long it took to get over! I came down with it in Mid September, and didn't really get over it until the end of January. The brace lasted just about that long. I think if I had a relapse, I would buy a new one. To this day, I am very conscious of how much weight I put on that arm.
Good luck with yours!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Yep, I had it a while back also....I played tennis once in my life about 36 years ago....then about 5 years ago was diagnosed with tennis elbow...go figure! So sorry you are having problems. Hopefully it will clear up soon.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Give it a rest. Once the symptoms have dissipated, still favor the sore part for a time. Then, don't repeat the action which brought it about. Do something else which will not trigger resumption of the malady's giving you a pain in the behind--or, wherever the pain is. There are plenty of activities you can engage in which will keep you occupied, and out of mischief. After a good rest quilting can be resumed, but, do not over do it. However, should what I predict does not come about, you can form a partnership with another quilter who can do what you can not do, and you can do what you can do. Just have an agreement as to whom shall own the finished quilt, or what will be done with it.

Dana
Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 PM

I second the band on your arm just below your elbow. I've had pain in just about every joint, and believe me, I know how to treat what ails me. Of course, what works for me doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes you have to experiment. I have some anti-inflammatory ointments that work GREAT! but they are compounded medications, and so you need to find someone who specializes in pain and can direct you to a compounding pharmacy. If you can find that, it's tremendously helpful.

But the band, that's something you can do on your own. You can find them at any drug store. They work in the same way pressing on a guitar string changes its pitch. It puts pressure on the nerve in a different place, and that makes the pain go away. If it isn't working, keep adjusting it until you get relief.

Tennis elbow is an overuse injury, and so it stands to reason that if you give it a rest, ice it, and use anti-inflammatories (oral or topical, like Aspercreme) it will get better in time. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM

I used the arm band too, it really helped.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 PM

I have had this off and on through the years. One time I went to the doctor with bronchitis, and happened to mention the pain I was having with Tennis Elbow, and no, I don't play tennis! I was already wearing an elbow brace. My doctor told me to use ice and massage it like crazy. He said when I was watching TV etc., to do this, and it would get better. He was absolutely right! I did that and it began to respond. Now any time I feel it coming on, I do the ice/massage therapy and it responds quickly. I shared this with a friend who was having the same problem and she responded positively to this treatment just as I had. Besides, the price is right:-) Praying you will get relief soon so you can begin to enjoy quilting again!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM

I have had tennis elbow--twice in my left--and it was no fun at all. The first time took a bit longer to heal but thank goodness I haven't had it since (about 10 years ago). The problem I have now is severe arthritis in my left shoulder, which has made cutting/sewing/quilting a little difficult most of the time. The doctor has recommended a shoulder replacement but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible. I'm not sure you could do this with tennis elbow, but I use one of my husband's woodworking clamps to hold the ruler and then I'm able to use my rotary cutter without having to apply much pressure.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 PM

I got a cortisone shot in my elbow and haven't had a problem since. That was many years ago.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM

i had this very bad on the right shoulder from years of cashiering. it was very painful. i did ice then heat , couldn't take time off from work, so did it faithfully after work. it took awhile but it did go away and i have never had it since. puglover1