Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows..... >

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM

I have only been to one show and was not impressed. The thing that got to me was that 7 of the quilts came straight out of a recent quilting magazine. Even the fabric was copied! This was not a big show either, it was put on by a local guild. I do enjoy looking at the art quilts, but I love the more traditional hand quilted ones. I want to be able to touch and snuggle with a quilt.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM

I was just saying the same thing to a friend yesterday. I was very disappointed on my last bus excursion to a quilt show in PA. I was blaming it on my age, but I truly prefer traditional quilting. I admire some art quilts, but so many are "too far out there" for me to enjoy.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
....I am starting to wonder if eventually the traditional pieced quilts won't make it into any of the quilt shows. Really, there are so many art quilts and fewer and fewer traditional. Lately all the big prizes, Best of Show, Best Quilting, etc. seem to go to art quilts.

I don't think I am very happy about this trend. And this is just MY opinion!
I agree !!!!!! There are not enough traditional and hand quilted !!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 PM

i'm a new quilter, and i have only been quilting about two years this april. the lady that helped me to get started in quilting helped me to learn to buy the best i could afford ,like kansas city trouble by moda ,got it on sale..made my first sampler guilt by a very good teacher, it was a traditional sand it is bueatiful, it made me feel so good to know that i did it,and it is so special to me..mother teresa
Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM

i am finding so many ladies of our guild that want to learn how too hand quilt, but there isn't any one to teach us how..mother teresa
Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM

I think what we aree seeing is the influx of many new quilters who are younger and are bringing new ideas and techniques to quilting. The cycles tend to go round and round and pieced quilts may be having a set back but I don't feel it will ever disappear. Paper piecing is seeing a resurgance but the patterns maybe slightly changed as the newcomers make their mark in the quilting world. Just my opinion...

Andie :D :D :D
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM

I think there is a place for both. Trends go in cycles, but the art of quilting has lasted for a long time,
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I think there is a place for both. Trends go in cycles, but the art of quilting has lasted for a long time,
Yes, I agree...new trends are what attract people to magazines, buying new designs/patterns/fabrics and tools....in essence they keep sales up, businesses alive and the artform survives. It is natural therefore, that the newer trends appear in exhibitions and shows.

Quilting, like many artforms (and sites like this) offers diversity, both in the designs and the people who create them. Here on this wonderful board, we have artists, traditionalists, hand and machine quilters, purists and those who "colour outside the lines"...all have something to offer and inspire us in many different ways. As long as the craft survives, to me, that is the important thing. So "Vive la difference" and let's keep quilting (in all it's forms) alive.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Its not so much that I don't like art quilts. Just wonder if I would ever be able to make one. I love the traditional one, but I agree, most the prized in quilt shows go to art quilts, or at least it seems like that to me.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I think traditional quilts are still alive and well.