Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM

The quilt is fine. It just has that old fashion look . Cotton,not matter what % it is and is mixed with poly or wool will shrink.

I never pre wash my fabric. I quilt everything,bind it and then wash in cold water,damp dry on low heat and then hand it up to finish drying. I work with a lot of flannel and do the same thing.
I alos do quilt for judging not only for myslef but others and I have never had any trouble.
Give the quilt to your MIL. She will appreciate it for the love you put in to it.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I know you think it's ruined and looks "awful"; but that was part of the charm of my Grandmothers quilts. Your MIL may think the same. I've personally had some quilts machine quilted in a manner that will create this look. Don't despair and try to "repair"; you may have the same outcome. I think it looks beautiful just the way it is.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by beckyw
take out the quilting and requilt it with new batting. It was the batting that got smaller.
Hope you have time for this, good idea...maybe you could give a card with a promise...would give you time to re-quilt. Sorry, this is a bummer.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 AM

This doesnt look too bad. I bet whe will love it. Maybe try ironing it to please yourself.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 AM

I had the same thing happen to me, only it was a wool blend batting. I threw it away, should have given it to the Humane Society, they need things like that for their doggie hospital. No advice for you, but i know how you feel. You just start over, and give her a glimpse of what you are making. She will understand, and admire you for not giving up. Sorry....but just buy good batting, I use all cotton, Warm and Natural, and Hobbs.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Lots of good ideas from seasoned quilters., hang in there.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 AM

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I am one that pre-washes everything for importnat projects. I do not like the shrunken look at all, some people do. Is it quilted ior tied? If it is tied , untie it and used a different batting that has been preshrunk. If it is just a horrible mess and you can't deal with it at this time, make a very nice gift certificate for a quilt and give it to her in a nicely wrapped box. You could include something small that you have made in the box, like potholders or a tot bag.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Of course, take out all over quilting ( I did it 3 times to a quilt for a friend, very tedious, but I am a perfectionist). The top is probably fabulous....find a good movie on TV, and have a good seam ripper.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Did you make the quilt above your name????Its wonderful.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM

I did the same thing when I made a baby quilt for a friends granddaughter. When I washed it it looked horrible!!!! Way worse than yours but I fixed it!! Honestly I think it's a beautiful quilt! :) I'm sure she'll love it!!