Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:19 PM

If I were your MIL, just knowing you had put all that love into a quilt for me would be enough. The shrinking does not seem bad to me. I would love it and use it with you in mind.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I do this sometimes.
Originally Posted by cjomomma
Sorry this happened. I have heard others say it is a good idea to put the batting in the dryer to shrink before use.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Deema

All these suggestions are great, but from someone who has given many many quilts and have never fretted over any one of them.. The person receiving will love what you did for them... JUST LEAVE IT the way it is and give it to her, She will love it... Believe me...
God Bless..
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ladybug 1938
Deema

All these suggestions are great, but from someone who has given many many quilts and have never fretted over any one of them.. The person receiving will love what you did for them... JUST LEAVE IT the way it is and give it to her, She will love it... Believe me...
God Bless..
I totally agree, trying to fix it could create more problem rather than fix the one you have.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM

The pictures certainly don't look bad at all and the quilt looks great! I love the colors! I would give it to her. A lot of people like the puckered look as it looks more like original quilts, which were mostly cotton, looked like.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM

I think I would try rewetting it and blocking it like you would a sweater.. pin it out carefully on your living room carpet with big T-pins, and let it stay there until it's dry.. I think it would be fine.. I can see (and tell) you are disappointed, but I think you should still give it to her.. Even if it's sort of puckered and wrinkled, it is a beautiful quilt... Blocking works wonders... It can't hurt and may sooth your discouragement.

I block quilts that are going to a show to make sure the sides are straight and hang down perfectly.. A nationally known quilt judge told us about how to do it.. and boy oh boy does it make a difference.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
To all that suggested ironing that quilt. If you put an iron to it, it will destroy the flufflyness that washing gave it. If you believe you want it pressed, use a clothing steamer. The wrinkles come out but the puffiness stays, making the quilt even more beautiful, but, to each his own.
I was glad to see this Rettie, bc I thought ppl have said, never put an iron to your quilt with the batting in place. I thought I was going crazy...giggle, but then that's nothing new ;)
I really don't think it looks bad, but what a caring soul to share with all of us, hoping to save us the same heartbreak.
It just plain hurts to have all our hard work change in a blink. I'm no psychic, but she will love it.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM

I love your quilt and would give it as a gift. I wash all of my quilts after quilting and hope the shrink a little as I think it gives them a warm, welcoming look. I think your IML's will appreciate your thoughtfulness. It really is a gift of Love.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM

try steam ironing it in one little section and or rewash and strech it on a carpetted floor and pin to let dry. See if that helps and let her know not to dry from now on. Beautiful quilt. Trish
Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
just saw the picture, that's not that bad, try ironing it.
I see there are 17 pages...I haven't read through all...yet...but I agree with scrapykate...Try ironing it; I think you'll be surprised.