Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
A really good Fruit  cake reipe... >

A really good Fruit cake reipe...

A really good Fruit cake reipe...

Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
I googled the recipe and found it! This is the best fruitcake I've ever eaten or made. I had earlier sent the history of the recipe , but I don't see it yet. But here is a good recipe if you want to try it. I also like to put the fruitcake, wrapped in cheese cloth and put whiskey or my sister was going to put rum on top of it, your preference, of course. But it is really a good cake. (OOPS! I think my sister used peach brandy instead of rum!_

Marty Aronowitz's Fruitcake Recipe

1 lb. pitted dates

1/2 lb. candied cherries

1/2 lb. candied sliced pineapple

1 lb. coarsely chopped pecans

1 C. sugar

1 C. flour

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. nutmeg

4 eggs

1 t. vanilla

Line angel food tube pan with parchment paper. Spray with vegetable cooking spray, if desired.

Cut fruits into small pieces; mix with chopped pecans. Sift dry ingredients together; mix with fruits and nuts. Beat eggs with vanilla; pour over fruit mixture. Mix well.

Pack into pan. Bake for 2 hours at 250° F. Top of fruitcake may be decorated by removing cake from oven after 1 hour and garnishing with more pineapple slices, halved cherries and pecan halves.

Return to oven to finish baking. Cool completely, preferably overnight, before removing from pan.

Yields 5 pounds.

Note: Marty Aronowitz shared the following recipe with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 1964. He died in 1986, but repeat the recipe every year with memories of all the pounds of fruitcake he - and the city - made with his recipe. Don't expect a cakelike consistency; this is chewy.
:oops:
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Haven't made this one in years, but it is so very, very, very good. Not too cheap to make and not real easy, but so worthwhile.
Texas Lemon Pecan Fruitcake
1/2 pound butter
1/2 pound brown sugar
4 cups chopped pecans
3 eggs separated (beat eggs whites til stiff)
3/4 oz. bottle lemon extract (I actually like 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1/4 cup milk
1/2 pound candied pineapple
1/2 pound candied cherries
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Cream butter and sugar. add beaten egg yolks; add dry ingredients alternating with liquid. Add lemon and vanilla extracts then fold in egg whites last. Cook at 250 degrees for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs in stem pan. Put pan of water in oven. Do Not Overcook. Batter will be very stiff and doesn't rise very much; a very dense and full of pecans. That's why I like it so much. No raisins or other yuky stuff.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Yes, bake this at the temp on the date nut bread mix.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Well this is the recipe that I make every year for Christmas have made it now for 15yrs so it is a real tried and true recipe that everyone loves.

INGREDIENTS

100g glace cherries – washed, dried and quartered
100g mixed candied fruit peel
225g ea. Sultana’s, currants and stoned raisins (chop raisins)
225g plain flour
225g butter
225g dark brown sugar
50g ea. Ground almonds, blanched almonds (whole or slivered)

2.5mls ea. Salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves
2.5mls vanilla essence
5mls ground mixed spice
15mls black treacle
45mls brandy

4 eggs

Place cherries, peel, sultanas, currants, raisins, and any other fruit in a bowl and cover with ˝ cup brandy. Leave to soak over night.
Sift flour; add salt & spices together. Stir 50g of the spiced flour into the fruits making sure they are completely covered in the flour; this prevents fruit from sinking to the bottom of the cake during baking.
Cream butter until light & fluffy, gradually add the sugar and beat well. Add finely ground lemon & orange rind. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs then add vanilla essence & treacle. Gradually add egg mixture to butter & sugar mixture, adding a tablespoon of flour a little at a time between each addition and beating well (to prevent curdling). Add fruit together with any remaining flour mixture, and then add ground almonds & blanched almonds. Mix thoroughly & pour into 20cm round cake tin, which has been double lined with greaseproof paper. Make an indent in the centre of the cake so that it will have an even surface when cooked. Wrap cake tin in double layer of brown paper to prevent cake from browning too much. Place in centre of oven and bake for 1 ˝ hours @ 150C then reduce temperature to 140C & bake for further 2 hours.
If cake begins to over brown, cover top with a circle of foil. Insert skewer into centre of cake to test if done. Leave cake in tin 30mins before turning out to cool.

Make cake in October or early November. To decorate cover top & sides with apricot jam then marzipan and fondant white icing.

Makes an 8” round cake.

Now I don't always use these exact fruits as some years I will substitute one or more of these fruits for something else such as glace pineapple, dried apricot, mangoes, peaches, dates etc. The kids don't like dried peel so I often substituted the peel for one of the others.

Enjoy anyone who tries this.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 AM

Maybe1day
This does sound really good. If I recall correctly "black treacle" is the same or similar to dark molasses isn't it?
I may try this sometime in the future. It would be too late to do it for this year, unless I start it now and have it for Valentine's day. ;-) And I just received my Abbey fruitcake.
Thanks everyone for sharing so many wonderful recipes.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 AM

The fruitcake I make, I dig into it the next day! I am sure aging would make it better, but it is so good, I don't want to wait!

Originally Posted by starshine
Maybe1day
This does sound really good. If I recall correctly "black treacle" is the same or similar to dark molasses isn't it?
I may try this sometime in the future. It would be too late to do it for this year, unless I start it now and have it for Valentine's day. ;-) And I just received my Abbey fruitcake.
Thanks everyone for sharing so many wonderful recipes.
:lol: :lol:
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Sash this cake recipe sounds very interesting but what is a stem pan? (Texas lemon pecan cake)
I think I will try this cake as my DD doesn't like my usual fruitcake because she doesn't like citron or currants etc, okay the yucky stuff :lol:

Maybe1day
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Sash this cake recipe sounds very interesting but what is a stem pan? (Texas lemon pecan cake)
I think I will try this cake as my DD doesn't like my usual fruitcake because she doesn't like citron or currants etc, okay the yucky stuff :lol:

Maybe1day
Is that a bundt pan??
Old 11-26-2010, 01:04 AM

I have a very easy to make fruit cake I could send the receipe to you if you like

Dale
New Zealand
Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Would love the recipe Dale, thank you

Maybe1day