Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this >

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM

walmart is going to be open all day on thanksgiving.I work in retail and we will be open until 4pm on Thanksgiving,we are open on christmas eve till 9pm then closed christmas day
Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 AM
BMP

I hate Walmarts !!! I rarely ever shop there.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Sadiemae, I understand. There are many people in our country who don't have family or frankly don't "do" Thanksgiving. I suggest those who wish to shop, shop and those who don't don't. I know that there are many workers who want to work these different times/days and do get special compensation for it.

The middle of the night shopping would not be my forte either, but for those that "need" to, enjoy :lol:
Amen to that!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Sadiemae, I understand. There are many people in our country who don't have family or frankly don't "do" Thanksgiving. I suggest those who wish to shop, shop and those who don't don't. I know that there are many workers who want to work these different times/days and do get special compensation for it.

The middle of the night shopping would not be my forte either, but for those that "need" to, enjoy :lol:
I am afraid I have to disagree with this perspective. There are people that don't 'do' Thanksgiving and that's fine. But the people who are required to work retail, by and large, would prefer to be home with their families for the holiday. Few stores pay extra for holidays anymore. Even so, if you believe that workers choose to work on Thanksgiving, make it optional. I think you would see far fewer stores open.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 AM

I will not be shopping I will be working. It is a pitiful shame the corporates are so greedy as to use customers as an excuse to increase the greed they have already collected.
I also think the people who shop should be ashamed!
This is an American Holiday and should be considered sacred.
The real fact of the matter is the greedy public who visit these places are as guilty as the greedy corporates who run them.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:44 PM

The one and only time I shopped on a Black Friday was last year at a local Sewing Center in San Antonio. This store advertised 50% off everything if purchased with a coupon before 9:30 AM. I bought a Viking Serger. When I got home andf unpacked the machine, the foot pedal was missing. I called them and more or less was accused of having "lost" it. "We checked it and it was there when you left." Then I checked my receipt. Instead of giving me 50% off as advertised, she only allowed 40% off and I hadn't caught it in the store. When I questioned it the following Monday, I was told that I had agreed to sign up for classes for the additional 10%. I hadn't! She wouldn't refund the money and claimed that it was my fault, not hers. I have since chalked it up to experience and made sure that I will never step foot in that shop again. And neither will my friends. I wonder how long she'll stay in business treating her customers like this?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM

OUR WM is going to be open Thanksgiving day also.it makes sense though you have Halloween then poof all the Christmas stuff go up. there's hardly a Thanksgiving tablecloth or napkin to be had. We can be Thankful for whatever we want but the big bucks are all Christmas. Really sad situation.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM

I guess I feel little to no compassion for them. lol sorry I don't. My husband works in a prison. They can not close up shop and send everyone home because it is a holiday. My husband will also be working Christmas. Do I like it NO does he have a JOB YES am I thankful for that YES. We have to put our whole day on hold until Sunday when he is off. Why because he has to work AT LEAST an eight hour shift. Depending on how many others decide to call in because they would rather spend time with their family and friends than be at their job he may have to work 16 hours straight, from 4pm to 8am. A friend of mine works at the hospital. people don't stop getting sick just because its a holiday. she still has to be at work tomorrow morning at 9:30 and work till 5:30.

Its a job, if they don't like it there are millions of people in this great country that would love to take their place.

By the way....don't count on state emplopyees getting that extra pay either. My husband will get 8 hours of comp time that he will have to take out in trade prior to the 15th of next month. but then he will get a negative log note for HAVING to take off a day during high vacation use time. Negative log not means he can not interview for sgt. next time a slot comes open!

If people would stop breaking the law maybe I would have a softer heart. Until then my husband will have to work holidays and I will go out shopping!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Danni,
What your DH and others do at hospitals and prisons clearly has to be done every day. No one NEEDS to shop on Thanksgiving. It is a very different situation.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 PM

sorry, multiple posts