Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this >

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

Old 11-23-2010, 03:08 PM

This is from one of my favorite sites -Etiquette Hell. The title of the post is "Greedy Turkeys".

"Today, there will be a little departure from the blog’s usual fare so that I can climb on my soapbox to address an issue near and dear to me.

My youngest daughter has worked at an Old Navy store for the past several years and has contributed several bad customer stories to the site. Last October, just one month before Thanksgiving, the store manager announced to the employees that Old Navy/Gap corporate office had decided to open the stores on Thanksgiving Day and in fairness to all, everyone was required to do a minimum 2 hour shift. The scramble was on as employees who had made travel plans had to get replacements or change their plans, single mothers who had been planning to spend their day off with children now scrambled to find babysitters, and the level of discontent was high. My daughter got scheduled for the 5- 7pm slot.

My daughter immediately looked up the contact information for the corporate office and called the Executive Vice President, of Human Resources Eva Sage-Gavin to politely register her complaint about this unprecedented new policy of opening on Thanksgiving Day. To their credit, Ms. Sage-Gavin’s staff were considerate in their communications. When Daughter asked if the corporate offices would be open as well, she was assured they would be. The question of whether any of the 1 million+/ year salaried corporate officers would be working as well was never answered with any clarity.

We viewed the decision by Gap/Old Navy to open on Thanksgiving Day to be a bad harbinger of more retail greed in the years to follow as other retailers scrambled to be the first to compete for limited consumer dollars. Perhaps it was inevitable once stores had begun opening their doors for business at 4 am on Black Friday. (My daughter, incidentally, finished her 5-7pm shift, came home for a few hours and had to go right back out at 3 am to work an 8 hour shift on Black Friday. )

On November 11, 2010, Sears issued a press release announcing that its stores would be opening on Thanksgiving Day for the first time since its founding in 1893. Sears claims it was responding to customer demand:

“Our decision to stay open on Thanksgiving Day was based on our customers’ response and desire to have an extra day to shop,” said David Friedman, SVP, Sears Holdings and president of marketing, Sears Holdings. “We are always listening to our customers to make their shopping experience easier, and now, by being open on Thanksgiving, they can start their shopping early or pick up last minute items needed for their Thanksgiving celebration.”

The press release then lists a number of specific sale items intended to lure customers to shop at Sears on Thanskgiving Day. Is Sears catering to an existing consumer demand or creating consumer demand to be open so that shoppers can purchase the specially priced items?

If Sears, Gap and Old Navy are responding to what they claim is consumer demand, shame on you consumers who patronize these stores on Thanksgiving Day and 4 am on Black Friday. Your need to save money will surely trample all over someone else’s desire to spend the holiday with family or friends as they are often compelled to work when they would rather not."

There is more on the site if you want to read it.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

That's pretty pathetic :(
Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM

It's crazy!!!! I would be an very un-happy camper if I was required to work on Thanksgiving day. If nothing else any employee that does work should make double pay!!!!
The only store I may visit on Thanksgiving day is the grocery store but will try my hardest not to.
I do appreciate it when there are at least a couple restaurants open on Thanksgiving so those who are traveling can get a snack or at least use the facilities!!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM

I for one will be sitting at home and digesting... and reading the QB boards, of course.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I am trying to think what I would need from Sears, Gap and Old Navy for my last minute Thanksgiving needs. Yes, shame on them. Just last night we were discussing with our children how the stores seem to run many of these Holidays. Please people do not support these places by shopping there on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM

I have never felt the need to get up at 4am to shop. I remember the days when all the stores were closed on Sundays. (SHOCK!) I was just thinking today as I was out doing my Thanksgiving Dinner shopping that things sure have changed sooo much since I was a kid....I wonder whats in store for the next generations? I mean...really??? You can't speed it up much more... there is a sadness to that thought.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM

That's just not right! I worked many years in Retail and every year had to work Black Friday. It's crazy to have to be up in the middle of the night to work. The worst part was that the customers were so nasty to you if they didn't RUN fast enough from the door to the department to get the latest toy or electronics item. One year I had a mob of angry screaming women in my face over a toy that had sold out quickly. Security had to break up the crowd. I'm sure their spoiled brats didn't need another useless toy. It is pathetic.

If I feel the need to shop on Thanksgiving, there's more than enough opportunity to shop on the internet.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:34 PM

I worked every black Friday, at 4am, at Sears for 14 years. None of us working that day wanted to be there that early & thought the people standing outside in the cold were just crazy. I mean all this to save a couple bucks? Our store had talked about opening on Thankgiving day several years ago, we were all furious and threatened not to work. I have been out of retail for 3 years now and refuse to shop any of the weekend after Thanksgiving. The mobs of people & traffic are just not worth it to me. :)
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Hubby has to work and i am going to brothers house to eat..at 3pm.
so i will be home alone sewing,hopefully.

oh heck no, i don't like to shop,let alone on black friday!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I want to preface this with I am not having a pity party!
I won't be spending money I don't have. That being said, I don't think it is very nice to shame me if I get lonely on a holiday and go to window shop. It is easy for others to say shame shame when they are probably celebrating the holiday with family!!! I won't be going Friday.