Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice is needed please >

Advice is needed please

Advice is needed please

Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM

well I am totally lost hate to say...I made one block with just the 2 colors and not really sure about it...I feel pretty stupid you want to know the truth
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135231.jpe
Views:	71
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	135236  
Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
well I am totally lost hate to say...I made one block with just the 2 colors and not really sure about it...I feel pretty stupid you want to know the truth
I haven't read every post, of course, but one can rarely tell what is going on by one block.
Are you going to alternate the colors and directions? Or can you add one more border, for example ... on the blue sides, put a black border, and on the black sides place the blue color.
As I remember it, you are working on different color-themed blocks, so are you going to change to the brown/gold tones or whatever on the other blocks? Or had you decided that you were going to go with blue and black on each block?
Either way, by adding two borders, alternating the colors, you will add a dimension to the block ...
On the next block, you may want to just switch the two colors ... currently, you have black on left/right, blue on up/down.
On the next block, you would put the blue on the sides and the black on the top ... again, another dimension ...
I guess I will go back through the thread to see what you have been thinking about <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM

okey, dokey!
I went back and read the thread, and you had chosen to do the attic windows ...
You needed to put the lighter color on the top and one side, and then the dark color on the bottom and opposite side ...
the light color is the window frame when the sun comes up, and the dark color represents the shadow ...
does that help? Have to go out to water cattle, but when I get back, I will try to remember to find another link for you on attic windows. <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM

So you are saying to put say the light blue on say the left side and bottm and then the brown on the right side and top...am I understanding you right...probably NOT...lol...I am going to add the light blue on the side of the brown and the brown on the side of the light blue hoping it looks ok had to quit earlier ended up with company ..hoping to get more accomplished later this wk between work and house work but as soon as I do will post another one that was just a general ideal I had one for the attic window and i am (dumb) I guess couldnt figure it out...I have never done anything to extravagent I have always done easy stuff I guess afraid to mess it up..
Old 11-28-2010, 03:09 PM

What if you cut them into a circle and set them into a background of a woodsy forest type fabric? What if you used a little fabric dye/paint to add some sky and foreground colors to soften the stark white?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 PM

You could make a 9 patch pizzazz quilt and just fussy cut the blocks the right sizes.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
So you are saying to put say the light blue on say the left side and bottm and then the brown on the right side and top...am I understanding you right...probably NOT...lol...I am going to add the light blue on the side of the brown and the brown on the side of the light blue hoping it looks ok had to quit earlier ended up with company ..hoping to get more accomplished later this wk between work and house work but as soon as I do will post another one that was just a general ideal I had one for the attic window and i am (dumb) I guess couldnt figure it out...I have never done anything to extravagent I have always done easy stuff I guess afraid to mess it up..
Silly me! I went to a website:
http://quilterscache.com/A/AtticWindowsBlock.html

The colors actually only go on two sides of each block ...
In the sample on the webside, the dark is on the right side, and the light is on the bottom.
You don't put color all around each block, only on two sides.
The reason being: when you put four together, the frame from one block actually frames the one beside it or to the bottom ...
If you were standing to the left of a window, and look out the frames, the only thing you would see would be the bottom and right side, and the more frames in the window, the more of that image you would be seeing.
Now! In the sample at the website, she has you actually sewing a "Y" seam, but since you insist you are a beginner, I would recommend you do it a bit different.
In the lower right corner of your frame, use a Half Square Triangle.
That is the example on one of the other pages that someone sent you to.
To do it, you take the finished size of your framing strips, add 7/8ths of an inch (or a full inch because you can trim it down) ... that will be the size of your square. Cut one square from each color at that size.
Put right sides together, draw a diagonal line on the back of the lighter color.
Stitch 1/4 inch on either side of the drawn line. Cut on the line, iron to the darker color, and VIOLA! You will have two corners for your window frame. Your border length would be just the same length as your picture.
Match the dark color to the dark sash and stitch your HST to that piece. Stitch the lighter color on first, and then stitch on your dark sashing with the HST (half square triangle) attached ... on to the square - - and your first "attic window" will be complete! <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by phillipsfiberart
What if you cut them into a circle and set them into a background of a woodsy forest type fabric? What if you used a little fabric dye/paint to add some sky and foreground colors to soften the stark white?
I like this idea!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:21 PM

ok will try the light on the top and left side and the dark on the bottom and right side so if I do that then on the next block will the light be on the same side as the first panel and butt up to the dark fabric or do you put a different color between the two I am telling you I feel really stupid or my blonde is actually starting to show..lol
Old 11-28-2010, 03:29 PM

http://quilterscache.com/images16/ru...%20Windows.jpg

Here is a sample of four attic window blocks together.