Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby spitting up/projectile vomit.  what to do???  help please. >

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM

Okay, I have a weird question. Do you have well water or city water? If you are mixing the formula with well water, there may be too much iron in it. That happened when our newborn grandson was staying with us.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM

I forgot, you mentioned something about bottles and you hadn't tried the ones with straws. I assume you wer referring to the Dr.Browns ones, and I must say that they are seriously impressive. I have never used them, but one of my friends did and there were absolutely no bubbles going back up through the bottle. I tried the Avent ones (with the disc at the bottom) and was very disappointed with them. Huge waste of money (especially considering DS was primarily breast fed and refused a bottle after 4 months anyway). I went with the drop in ones which were better (and a lot easier to clean since we didn't have a dishwasher at the time - SO happy to have one this time around!). I still vote for Dr. Brown's though. I am the crazy lady that randomly will walk up to people if I see them looking in the store and tell them my opinion...
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM

One caution on the goat's milk . . . the proteins in it are similar to cow's milk and some children highly allergic to cow's milk will react negatively to goat's milk as well. Just speaking from experience here.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
Could I please ask why he was in NICU please?
He was 6 1/2 weeks premature. I had pre-eclampsia and Nathan decided to come early. He was fine in the NICU, but when we brought him home (4 weeks later), he starting spitting up and it just progressively got worse (he started out on breast milk), which I figured would have been the best for him, but the doc said he had a milk intolerance. We switched him to soy and that seemed to be about the best, so now I'm thinking maybe the soy and the zantac? but I'm scared to make a move without the doc's approval.
Our first projectile vomited once, which resultrf in a trip to the doctor's house (love country doctors), trips to the pediatric gastroentrologist (or however that's typed) that was in the news at the time for performing a liver transplant on a 5 yr old. And all these tests. Ended up he was allergic to cow's milk, weird since he was breast fed. He was getting whatever was in the cow's milk he was allergic to, from ME, because I drank it - I thought that was a good thing!
He was put on soy formula, he was fine, immediately.
My daighter, 2 yrs younger, started the same thing, at the same age, 6 wks, so we switched her right away, and for our third, he was just started on soy, figuring he'd have the problem too.
Maybe it was a sign of how smart they are, becase they grew into very smart adults
They outgrew it, but I did use soy until they were 6 months old
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM

that does seem "strange" that a baby would be intolerant of his own mother's milk.

50%of babies who are lactose intolerant will react if MOTHER is drinking milk, eating cheese etc.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM

What kind of belly button does he have? Inny or outey?There is a reason why I asked that. You probably think I am crazy but I'm not. Just a concerned grammie.
He has an inny. I've gotta hear the reasoning behind this please. tee hee
It doesn't happen often and I have only seen one baby with it, but it's called pyloric stenosis. The valve at the bottom of the stomach doesn't work well and the stomach can't empty into the small intestine. Hense projectile vomiting. But allergies can cause that also. I have bad allergies and I have done my share. But I agree with the other ladies also. Get a second or third opinion. Mothers know best when it comes to their babies.
Doc ordered an Upper GI and said the test for this was normal. Didn't know it had anything to do with this belly button though. Thanks!!!
My son had surgery for pyloric stenosis at 14 days old. It is NOT always an allergic reaction. Nor is it always gas. We got the diagnosis through ultra sound. He threw up every bottle for four days and was down almost two pounds from birth weight. I took him to the dr. and told her I thought he had this she thought it was something different. Statistics show that a first born male child is most likely to have it and it doesn't normally show up until 6+ weeks after birth. 5 hours later I was on my way to St. Louis with my 13 day old child. He was the fourth born, third male! He had surgery the following day after getting a ton of fluids because he was VERY dehydrated and they could not do surgery that day! He was 9 weeks old at finally back up to birth weight!

A little medical lesson....
It has nothing to do with the belly button!
Normally, food passes easily from the stomach into the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) through a valve called the pylorus. In pyloric stenosis, the muscles of the pylorus are thickened. This thickening prevents the stomach from emptying into the small intestine. The muscles get so thick that it closes off and nothing gets through. The only place for the stomach contents to go is out the way they came in!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM

So sorry to hear this. Poor baby.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Daughter #2 was the variety that splattered the wall with every feeding. I simply refed her - talk about producing milk like Elsie the cow. The second feeding stayed down and she was a big, healthy girl. Her doctor and pediatrician never found a reason. I don't think it ended until she was six months old.

Daughter #3 was allergic to my milk. She didn't vomit, but had terrible diarrhea. At six weeks, she weighed the same as when she was born. The doctor put her on a formula with no animal fat. The animal fat was removed and replaced with a vegetable product - coconut oil, I think. She immediately did very well. Her skin cleared up and she gained weight nicely. This was 49 and 46 years ago.

A granddaughter had your son's trouble until she was put on a formula with no iron.

What to do? Find another doctor if yours isn't concerned. If the baby isn't thriving, you keep at it until he is. Going back to nursing and avoiding all milk sounds like a possibility.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Might depend on Mothers diet. Onions, spices, garlic etc?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:58 PM

We tried the goats milk and it seems to be working fabulously. I noticed a HUGE improvement after just his first bottle. He's so much less fussy now and his color is returning to normal. Thank you so much for your help with this. I'm so excited to have my happy baby back again!!!