weird fears or aversions

Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM

Wow, I just read the rest and discovered a bunch more...squeaky shoes, tooth-sucking, chewing open-mouthed or chewing and talking, smacking/snapping gum............
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM

I can't stand hearing people chew on TV. Maybe it's something about the sound coming through the speaker that changes it's pitch or something, because chewing "in person" doesn't bother me...just on tv. squish, squish., It actually makes me gag.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 PM

I can't stand to watch basketball and it's because of the squeaking on the floor. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one because my kids think that I'm weird. I don't like hearing the coyotes yipping at night either. That will wake me out of a sound sleep.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 PM

People at a meeting sitting and clicking their pen or tapping it on the table repeatedly.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM

OK, the other one is, I can't stand the sight of the roast beef in an Arby's sandwich on their TV ad - have to look away. I'm sure I would like the taste, just something about the meat piled up reminds me of flesh.
Oh, and how about people who need to blow their nose but DON'T. Just sit there sniffing and sucking their nose - gross - no excuse for it if you are over the age of 6.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Pet peeve is the sound of a phone ringing on TV. It sounds like it is ringing in the house. This is also one of my stress signs. When the stress hits, I would get up and go to the phone (that only I heard ringing), my kids would laugh and say, it's ok mom. Got to be the family joke, even I would say, the phones not ringing is it? And then we would all have a chuckle.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM

I have an aversion to the phrase "to die for" as in "the chocolate cake was to die for."

How did this even get started? It makes no sense.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Ok any time I hear cardboard being cut - oh my teeth are clenched just thinking about it! And it's not an uncommon aversion but is very serious to me! Spiders! My panic is immediate and uncontrollable! People laugh at me but believe me, it is not funny!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

It's not on TV anymore but that test pattern used to scare me to death. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps.
I use to fall asleep babysitting and would have to walk to the TV with my eyes and ears closed to turn it off. For young people it was this awful picture of circles and lines with a terrible buzzing after the TV went off the air for the night.

I forgot the movie but there was a movie on where people were watching TV and it showed it and even on a small screen on TV it made me close my eyes.
Weird, huh???
Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM

The sound of hands going into microwave popcorn bags,they way my spouse shakes his sweatener packet every am for his coffee....Oh an Iv or monitors beeping at work and the other nurses ignoring them!