Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 AM

Me too I love that part! I usually have my cart towered high with bolts then have to narrow it down before I get to the cutting table.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:19 AM

Ten years or so before I actually made my first quilt, I wanted to make a king size log cabin for my bed. I knew the two colours I wanted, knew how the colour values had to be organised, and wanted cream for the centres. I gave up eventually because I just couldn't put seven fabrics together the way I wanted/needed to.

Now I play in EQ and audition fabrics from various websites so I enjoy the fabric selection part of the process. If only EQ could run an automatic cutting machine (the part I dislike) I'd be much more productive!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 AM

When I am fabric shopping for a project, I try to focus my search on that one "perfect" fabric. Sometimes that is soooo hard to do because there are so many beautiful fabrics to choose from.

But once I've found that one perfect fabric, then I look for co-ordinating fabrics for the rest of the project. For me, it makes the process much easier to do it in steps.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
I had that problem too, at first. How about if you take that Storm at Sea pattern back to your LQS, pick out one fabric that you LOVE and then ask the experts in the shop to give you a few suggestions for coordinating fabrics. It's their job, they do it every day. The more you watch them do it, the more it will rub off on you.

Just remember to have fun. That's what it's all about.
excellent advice
Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Some days (years) the color of choice simply is not there -
Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 AM

To me it's the worst part. My hubby won't "let" me drive since my heart surgery. I'm terrible at picking out colors. I get all flustered in the fab shop. It takes forever and then when I THINK I find something I like my hubby comes in and says "U ready to go?" By then I've lost my swatches and grrrrrr! I put everything back and go home empty handed or I end up buying something for the final color I think might go with my stash, get it home and it's looks completely different in my lighting than it did in the store. grrrr! What's a person to do??? So I think I came up with a solution. I took a little sample of each from my stash and put each one in a little laminate pouch, (WalMart sells them, they're for making name cards) punch a hole in the corner of each, run a string through them, hang it around my neck so in the store I could just hold up this little thingy I made next to the bolt of fabric to see how the match is. I didn't loose my swatches and it took less time than ever. The clerk didn't mind that I took it up to the window to see through daylight rather than florescent lighting. It worked. I am now ready to start my next quilt.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 AM

Have never had that problem!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 AM

This is a great idea... its what I do because I, too, have trouble choosing. There is usually someone who is particularly good at making those fabric choices, and at my LQS, everyone knows who she is! Using collections is the other great idea... the fabrics go together perfectly!
Originally Posted by merrylouw

I had that problem too, at first. How about if you take that Storm at Sea pattern back to your LQS, pick out one fabric that you LOVE and then ask the experts in the shop to give you a few suggestions for coordinating fabrics. It's their job, they do it every day. The more you watch them do it, the more it will rub off on you.

Just remember to have fun. That's what it's all about.
:-D
Old 12-03-2010, 04:54 AM

The fabric collection process is my favorite part.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:03 AM

I love picking fabric. My friends all tell me I am way to far out of the box for them. I go by what feeling a fabric gives me. I know that sounds nuts, but I sometimes think fabric really does talk to me. grin