Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM

i'm with you. i have started buying nothing but kits. fabrics are from well know mfg. excellent quality, the fabric is all picked for you from a collection as the mfg. are starting to put out the kits. i also find the kits are cheaper then buying the fabric by the yard. yes kits are the way to go!!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by klgreene
You sound like my sister. We could go into a fabric store, and in 5 min. I have a handful of fabric. She's still looking 45 min. later. TO me that's the first fun part of a quilt.
I am like that....I start with one color and build the quilt palette from there. Lay bolts on a table or in a basket or on top of other bolts, and lay the others over, next to, etc to see how they work together. Try lots of different ones...colors, prints, etc. If you start with a print, take all the colors in the print and get fabrics with just those colors. You'll start enjoying it...it's like painting a picture.
I do that too. Start with a focus fabric and go from there with the colors. My LQS is great too for helping to find just the right sparkle that a quilt might need.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Ha, ha! Choosing fabrics for EVERYTHING is a thrill for me. However, I grew up sewing clothes, not quilts. Alex Anderson has written in one of her beginning quilting books, don't choose quilt fabrics as if you'll be wearing them...

That bit of advice opened my mind to make choices in a new light. And speaking of light, viewing fabrics in natural light makes a big difference. Try taking bolts to a window or even outside. Find just one that you like, then add one more.... soon you'll have enough for two quilts! Have fun with pre-cuts, too!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM

i go with ideas in my head but get overwelmed when i get thee and see everything so it takes me a long time
Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 PM

for you i think you should stick to kits that appeal to you..then everything is all together and nicely coordinated......as for me i luv to shop for fabric and i am verrrrrryyyyyy picky so it can take me up to 2 or 3 hours to get it just right but i am a happy camper when i leave the store///
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM

I agree with using fabrics from one line, or grouping, of a designer's designs. I'm using Moda (manufacturer) turnovers (6" triangles) and honeybuns (1 1/2" by width of fabric strips) pre-cut packs to make a simple quilt for one of my daughters. She gasped when she saw the half-finished top and said "How did you coordinate all of those fabrics?!?"
Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM

The fabric is what it's all about for me. I could easily go fabric shopping every day and be in total bliss. I love looking and touching and mixing and matching. I just about memorize every new collection and every color way by my favorite designers. The hard part for me is making that first cut...it almost breaks my heart!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 PM

sometimes and when i get stumped i go to lqs and she helps me figure out which goes together best.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM

That's the fun part! One thing I do is find a print that I love. Look on the selvege. Many prints have dots that are there for the printing process. However, these are the colors that are in the print. Look for other fabrics that matches those dots. Sometimes I end up not buying the first print, but it helped me put the color scheme together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-137798.png
Views:	56
Size:	893 Bytes
ID:	137803  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM

I always have a hard time picking out fabric. I pick one fabric that I love, then try to find fabrics that go with that one. I always love fabrics other people have more than mine. Hopefully, it will get easier. Hang in there!