Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Have you seen Santa dollars? Our grocery has them. Haven't asked my bank.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I am a grandmother of 11. There comes a time in one's life that you have to cry uncle. This is that time for you. Grandchildren LOVE having gift cards. Even my littles one at 3 was thrilled to have a "credit card". The older ones get what they want rather than things from gramma. Go ahead with gift cards -- even if it's only mere dollars. Explain that you're overwhelmed right now. Trust me, it'll be freeing for you!
I pray things will get better for you!!!! That's a lot to try to handle right now!
{{{HUGE}}}

d
I agree. You aren't much fun and certainly won't feel better if you work yourself to death. Honestly the kids would be very happy with money to spend as they want. Give them presents thru the year when it's better for you! Take care!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 PM

I have 6 children, a son-in-law and a daughter's boyfriend to make quilts for this month (and two of them have birthdays in December, two more in January, two in March!) I'm in different stages of 3 projects and I have made a decision: Wall hangings. Like the IOU idea, wall hangings will represent the bigger quilt to come and is a gift in itself. Let go of that stress, Girl! Enjoy this blessed season and you will bless those around you.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Or, you could give them gift cards for the gift you were planning to make. My SIL said he felt he was really accepted as one of the family when he got an unfinshed item for Christmas - can you tell it is a long standing tradition in our house?
Mary
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM

I made a lot of bean bags for a game at church. Afterwards, I brought them home. I have grandson age 9 and grandaughters 11 and 14. They haave the best time throwing these into a cardboard box situated about 8 feet away. I made the beanbags in 4 different colors (about 5 of each color). That way each one choses a color and each kid competes to get the most bags into the box. Then they count to see how many each kid got into the box to see who the one with the most bean bags has in. They don't take turns throwing the bags in the box. My husband and I even have a good time competing with them. Mine are made with bulk rice stuffing. But they sure are easy to make and a lot of fun.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM

The best gift is your time - maybe to finish their gift with them . . . Maybe set a date or a series of together times. - this is THE best gift. Materialism dies when you spend YOUR time!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM

Since I have 15 grand children & 6 greats, I no longer send "presents" too expensive. Instead I send checks to their mom & mom has the choice to give cash to the kids (that's the easiest for teenagers) or pick out a gift, wrap it & put it under the tree from "Grammy". I am making quilts for all the grands and greats, but I do them one at a time and send when finished (I've only finished 2) so I am not pressured to get done by birthdays or Christmas. I call them my "just because I love you quilts" and yes, children in one familie do not get all of them at the same time. Their special time will come. Take care of yourself. Blessings on you and your dh, hope surgery goes well.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by starlite
Help... I am getting further behind making gifts for christmas! 1st I got a bad cold 2nd I tore some tendons and ligaments in my foot 3rd my dh has to have surgry. I feel like a sinking ship! Any ideas for some quicker items to make? I have to sew for 9 count them 9 grands 4 girls & 5 boys all under 11 yrs. I am brain fogged! Any words of wisdom for the weary....Guess I needed to unload thanks for being here! Jan
Maybe a great game for those in the same family, card games, go fishing, old maid, bingo or something like that and IOU's for what you intended to make to be cashed in after you and DH are mended again. Kids now days don't play enough of the games that kept us busy such as monoply, chinese checkers, etc. I think games like this helps restore togetherness in families. There are too many electronic games for children now. These games make them have to think. There are so many games that families can play together, and this might be something "really new" for the children.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
JAS

I don't think you gave an age for the children.. over 5 under 12 perhapes make a kit up for a project you could help them work on together .. a personal place mat with a design the child might like flowers, kitty, puppy, snowman.. Any buttons on hand they make up into cute necklesses... any of these as long as children are of the right age..
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Do any of the GK's live close (or visit dependably) enough for you write them gift certificates for a sewing lesson or "make a pillowcase with Grandma"?