Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by missmabeliowa
To me it's the worst part. My hubby won't "let" me drive since my heart surgery. I'm terrible at picking out colors. I get all flustered in the fab shop. It takes forever and then when I THINK I find something I like my hubby comes in and says "U ready to go?" By then I've lost my swatches and grrrrrr! I put everything back and go home empty handed or I end up buying something for the final color I think might go with my stash, get it home and it's looks completely different in my lighting than it did in the store. grrrr! What's a person to do??? So I think I came up with a solution. I took a little sample of each from my stash and put each one in a little laminate pouch, (WalMart sells them, they're for making name cards) punch a hole in the corner of each, run a string through them, hang it around my neck so in the store I could just hold up this little thingy I made next to the bolt of fabric to see how the match is. I didn't loose my swatches and it took less time than ever. The clerk didn't mind that I took it up to the window to see through daylight rather than florescent lighting. It worked. I am now ready to start my next quilt.
Your 'stash swatch' idea is a good one. I always lose the swatches I bring with me for matching. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
My Mom gave me some cash for my birthday. I already had my plans for a king size storm at sea ready, so I headed to a favorite quilt shop today. I spent two hours wandering around the store, and left with nothing.
This past summer, same thing, I had a chance to spend a day in Lancaster Pennsylvania and many Amish quilt shops.. Left with nothing.
I love to quilt, I love the whole process of piecing, applique, free motion quilting. But when it comes to picking out the fabric, I'm at a loss.
I did buy one 1/4 yard piece to check the color out in my room, brought it home, didn't like it! On to another shop sometime next week! Argh.
Call me! I'll gladly go for you! I think I actually like the fabrics even more than the quilting! I LOVE coordinating fabrics. I feel so...satisfied...when the fabrics blend together. I would love to do the fabric search and then have people quilt for me!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Picking out fabric is fun and scary. It will make or break your quilt. I sometimes get overwelmed and can't make a decision. There is just too much to choose from and too many ideas swirling around in my head.

This can happen when I am making a quilt too, I tend to think more that I sew. Really slows me down, that and ripping out my goof ups.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 PM

I love to pick out fabrics, but find it frustrating when I am wanting to match things for a project. I am an over-matcher for sure!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 AM

Love to pick out fabrics. Find a clerk in the store who is know about quilting and quilts. You do not have to buy fabrics they select if you so not want.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM

I can pick out the fabrics but when I get home I don't want to cut such a beautiful piece of fabric.....maybe I should just do whole cloth quilts?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I enjoy picking out fabric toooooo much!!! LOL When I get home I always end up wondering... "now what am I going to make with this" because I couldnt resist it!!
I am getting better. I am trying to use up my stash without buying more. My goal is to make all 8 grandkids quilts with what I already have!!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM

I love to shop for fabric! Even if I don't need anything I still love to look at the beautiful colors and dream of what I could make. I suppose that is why my sewing room is piled high with fabric and I have enough projects to last me for 100 years...but I still shop!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:56 PM

sewingbee, you sound just like me. i have bought 3 quilt kits today, but gosh the sales are so good. 2 of them were 50% off. can't pass up a deal like that. i just can't help myself. lol
Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM

I find it daunting too. I can look for hours, love tons, come out with nothing! Trying to decide I guess is the hardest part for me.