Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So upset! >

So upset!

So upset!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I have three tops pieced, and I was quilting the table runner for my mom for Christmas when my 1 year old machine made a growling noise and just stopped working. It took about 15 minutes for me to pry my 1/3 of the way quilted top out of the machine without ripping or pulling threads.

I called the local machine shop and it'll be up to 3 weeks before they can get my machine in for service!!

I'm just so upset right now - these are all supposed to be Christmas gifts and there's no way I'm a fast enough hand quilter to get two 45x65 tops done!

I took out my old machine, a White, and it keeps having tension issues so I'm horribly frustrated right now and my husband (as good as he is) just doesn't "get" it as to why I'm so upset. It's because I worked for HOURS on the tops and I wanted to give them to my BIL and SIL for Christmas since we haven't seen them in 5 years!

Thanks for letting me vent - I needed to get this off my chest to people who do understand! I'll be popping back on and let you all know if I get the tension issues fixed. :(
If you lived close to me, I'd be delighted to lend you one of mine! If you know someone who sews, maybe you can borrow one?

:?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM

If there's a local quilt shop in your area, perhaps they have a machine you can rent?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM

if you by some chance live in indiana, pm me i have one you could use, also check with local dealer, also check if your town has a quilt guild, if so call the president explain the sitution and maybe a member has one you could borrow, also check craigslist for cheap machines..pm me if you are in indiana
Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM

On craigs list, the Sears Kenmore with the table for $100
sounds like a really good deal. I'd check into that one for
sure.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...ion-every-time

Try this on your tension it worked for me. Good luck
Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 AM

I wish you were close to me. I have three extra machines that would work for you. And I'd be more than glad to lend one to you.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Do you have a special friend who would let you come over and use her machine. Or do you have a local quilt shop that would let you use one of their machines
Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM

I would give them a picture with a note saying that the quilts will be coming. I've done that for my son when a gift I ordered didn't make it in time and he was just as happy as if he'd gotten the gift. Getting a quilt for Christmas is wonderful and I'd bet your BIL and SIL will be tickled knowing that such a terrific gift is coming their way.

I would be totally bummed about the machine and probably saying very bad things. The idea of getting a loaner from the repair shop is a very good one, any chance of that happening?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Where are you located? I'm in So.Cal. and if you are nearby you can borrow a spare machine from me.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM

I can relate! I had to go buy a new machine because mine died in mid-stitich.
I try really hard not to use my hobby for any deadline work. My hobby is supposed to be just for me and my de-stressing. When I get some project done, I give it to someone or not. That way, it is really a gift of MY heart. And not a &%$%deadline I have to finish.
I would like to recommend borrowing or renting a machine or just quilting them a little by hand and giving them anyway.
But isn't it wonderful to have a "room" full of people who understand you?