Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about spray basting batting >

Question about spray basting batting

Question about spray basting batting

Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
alimaui

I have used (and liked) the Sullivans. That was the first one I tried. I found it at Joann's. The next time, I did' realize it was different and i bought the June Taylor. I didn't really like this brand, as it didn't stick well, except to my hands and everything around me. It didn't really stick "stick stick", but left the residue on everything near. U recently picked up the 505 spray. I thnk the sullivans was cheaper that 505 spray, and I will look for that again, but if not 505 is what I will use.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
Yep, it's gumming the needle. Not too bad but still an aggravation. Thankfully, I'm only doing minimal quilting. The blocks are 21" each and I'm just doing a decorative stitch between the blocks. I'm not going to try and wash it out before shipping it. Just don't have the time. I used flannel for batting so I wouldn't have to quilt too much. The blocks don't lend themselves to a lot of quilting. Since this is my first time quilting a quilt it's a lesson learned but at least it's not a king size quilt just a twin. I definitely won't use this spray again. I may try the fusible batting to see how that works.

I get so much good info from this site. Everyone is so helpful. Thanks.
FYI: Flannel shrinks a lot more than quilting cotton, so it's a good idea to pre shrink it.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 AM

I am a Mini Quilter and spray baste these to quilt. If you get some gumming, just wipe off with alcohol. Well worth the effort and quicker too.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM

My old standby for any kind of stickies (like today, I'm using press-n-seal for quilting an intricate design) is "SEWERS AID." It's like a silicone and is sold in a little bottle on a card, looking similar to Fray Check in size and appearance.

Looking at the card back I find it has many, many uses only a couple of which I've tried. I have to start reading labels more. Here are some of the things they suggest using it for:

--Apply to spool and bobbin thread to lubricate the thread guides and tension as it passes through machine for smoother sewing.

--Apply to machine needle for smoother sewing ... knits and sheer fabrics can be sewn more easily and it helps prevent skipped stitches.

--Apply to hand needle for easier penetration of fabric when hand sewing.

--Apply to bottom of presser foot and other attachments to glide over fabrics more easily.

--Apply to scissors for easier cutting.

--Use on stubborn metal zippers and for cleaning your eye glasses. (Who knew?!?)

... I'm off to find all my scissors and give 'em a shot!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Take your fabric outside and do a fast spray. I use sulivans. I can not handle hardly any sprays so I keep as much out of my house as can be. Even at my quilt shop I know they take things outside to spray, Not sure what they use.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ann clare
I use 505 and have no problem.
Ditto. I use it for machine embroidery too.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 PM

I spray baste my batting all the time when making table runners and I have not had a problem with it gumming up the needle. Be sure to spray lightly as a little goes a long way.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM

A workshop teacher told us a while back that even if the spray gums up the needle It isn't likely to cause any real damage otherwise. Just use an alcohol swab if you like.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM

I use "Helmar" spray and not a hint of gumming.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM

I use spray basting on almost everything I make that I quilt and it's great and NEVER gums up my needle. I can be dangerous using pins to hold my quilts together...I only have so much blood...lol