Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Returned my Shark iron! >

Returned my Shark iron!

Returned my Shark iron!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM

I had a Shark and a Rowenta and hated both of them.
They both had problems with leaking and the Shark just up and quit and both were new. :thumbdown:
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM

I have an old Sunbeam, two Rowentas and two Black & Deckers and they all work fine. The Sunbeam really gets hot hot hot; I have to be extra careful. Also, just this past year I picked up a small vintage iron (in that Harvest Gold (yellow))color that does nothing put heat up; no steam no shut off but just a small vintage travel iron that stays in my quilting tool bag and it works great! Got it at an estate sale. I got the two Rowentas at thrift stores and same for the Sunbeam for $5. The big Rowenta which I am using now was barely used and paid about $20 for it. I love it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM

Wish this post was posted before I purchased my new iron. (Going on 6 months). I bought a shark and so far, so good. I really like it. I do have to shake it from sleeping mode and wait again to warm up. That's the only down feature. It does not leak, thank goodness.
I will keep you posted, but for now, I am liking my shark
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM

I have a Rowenta Iron I found out that if I only fill it half way it will not leak. I really love it!! Still I have checked out out their site found out they offer repairs on em. they have several repair sites through out the USA (and abroad) I would suggest we all get to gether and complain to em about the leaky iron problem!! maybe they would issue a recall on em (like they do with cars) then they will repair/replace em??
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM

I have a Sunbeam that I bought either at Target or WalMart. I only use an iron for crafts/quilting. It shuts off after so many minutes, does not leak and I know I didn't spend a lot for it since I don't use it much. It works great when needed.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

I agree, Shark products are really over rated, won't buy that brand name any more.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM

I have a Shark Euro-pro that I LOVE because it gets HOT! It has 1700W. Most irons only have 1100-1200W. (How hot it gets.) Yes, mine leaks water, too.
But I've just learned to set it on a wash-cloth when I'm not using it to absorb the water. I have to refill it everytime I go to use it, but since it gets so hot, I feel it is a small price to pay.

I got mine at Goodwill for about $2.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM

I have a Rowenta (have had it for several years). It will leak water when I have to add "cool" water to the hot iron. Very aggravating, I must say. Also, had a problem with it leaking brown water onto my project. Took me forever to get it cleaned out. Today I ordered a Singer Classic Press. Will let you know how it is after I use it for a while.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
Originally Posted by BRenea
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The best iron on the market right now is Reliable Digital Velocity V100 Steam Iron. It has a separate water chamber inside the iron, only steam can get out. The auto shut off can be turned off or on.
That's the iron I have now, and I can't say enough good things about it. I had Euro Pro Sharks previously, they were okay but I went through two in about three years' time.
I am seriously considering this iron, but I can't find any reviews of it... Would you tell us how you like it?
Sorcha
For me, it's the best iron I've had...it doesn't spit, sputter or leak...what a concept! It heats up fast and I love that I can bypass the auto shutoff feature! That was one of the most frustrating things, everytime I wanted to use my old iron I had to let it heat up again. The only downfall is that Reliable irons are pricey...why can't they make a decent iron at a decent price?!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Hey Bridget, Changing the subject; I once lived in Seguin; started first grade there in 1953 but parents then moved to Austin. I have a big German lastname that is a common name there.
Vernell in Austin
Originally Posted by Tilladare
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The best iron on the market right now is Reliable Digital Velocity V100 Steam Iron. It has a separate water chamber inside the iron, only steam can get out. The auto shut off can be turned off or on.
That's the iron I have now, and I can't say enough good things about it. I had Euro Pro Sharks previously, they were okay but I went through two in about three years' time.
I am seriously considering this iron, but I can't find any reviews of it... Would you tell us how you like it?
Sorcha
For me, it's the best iron I've had...it doesn't spit, sputter or leak...what a concept! It heats up fast and I love that I can bypass the auto shutoff feature! That was one of the most frustrating things, everytime I wanted to use my old iron I had to let it heat up again. The only downfall is that Reliable irons are pricey...why can't they make a decent iron at a decent price?!