Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shark Iron?? >

Shark Iron??

Shark Iron??

Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Shark Iron??

Has anyone got a Shark iron -- my Rowenta is dying and I saw a Shark at Costco and was wondering if any of you have experience with this iron.

Thanks much!!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM

I got one about a month ago, also to replace a Rowenta. To be honest, I bought it because if something goes wrong, I can return it easily. I'm not impressed. If it shuts down while plugged in, you have to not just move the iron, but also reset the temperature. Even when fully heated, it occasionally spits water. And the 'spray' button and 'burst of steam' button are reversed. I'm sure I'll get used to that, but I do get it wrong all.the.time. now. I spent around $25.00.

I tried to research irons online, and found it confusing. I needed a new iron NOW, so I went with this one. I haven't had time to do any further research, so for now, I'll stick with this one. It's not bad, just not great.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM

I had one before the dog got the wire to it. It works fine. It is like most irons today that has the auto shut off and you can't set the time limit or disengage the shut off. That is the only bad part; when piecing I'd have to keep turning it back on but it does heat up fast. It doesn't leak like I've heard many of the Rowena's do. Right now I'm using a cheap Black n Decker from Walmarts for around $10; works great and doesn't shut it self off. I keep it plugged into a surge protector and turn that off when I'm done. There are some irons that you have the option of using the auto-off or not.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM

I have one as well and don't like it at all!!! I would NEVER buy another Shark! I had an old black and decker and loved it forever!!! I am thinking after the holidays about going and buying another black and decker and just throwing away the shark!! What a waste of money!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I just bought a Shark iron at Target. it's light weight, blue and silver. i like it so far a lot!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM

I recently bought the Rowenta Focus and I love it. It does not have the auto shut off. I like it so much that I bought a second one.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I have a Shark...have had it for about 6 months. I agree with the previous poster who mentioned that fact that not only do you have to 'move' the iron to wake it up, but you also have to reset the heat setting. I do find that a little bit annoying. I also do not find that mine steams like I think it should. Other than that, I guess I have not had any complaints. In the past I have had Black and Decker and also Rowenta irons so this time I tried a Shark. I try not to ever spend too much on an iron...simply because I know that it won't last. Not sure what kind I will try next.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the replies -- either Black and Decker or Rowenta sound like a good bet. Like the price of the B&D
Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM

I bought the big Shark...it was less than a month out of warranty and one day, just shut down! I am so sick of paying hundreds of hard-earned dollars for sub-standard irons it isn't funny! All the Rowentas I've had have turned out to be over-rated and under performing pieces of you-know-what! The best iron I've got right now is a $5.00 on sale @ Wally-world dry iron. I'm keepin' it!