Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of new sewing machine should I buy. >

What kind of new sewing machine should I buy.

What kind of new sewing machine should I buy.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Default What kind of new sewing machine should I buy.

I have several machines older models, Singer featherwight, 99K, have an older Dressmaker that has no cams so only straight stitches, 403 that has no cams, a Good Housekeeper that just straight stiches and I love each of them. But I would like a good machine that can do some zig zagging, satin stitching etc. Would you all give me some places I could start and your recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:46 PM

It really depends on your budget. Before I purchased my Pfaff exprssion 2.0, I wrote down the things I wated such as built in even feed, needle up-down, then I went searching on the internet for makes and models, and where the closeset dealer was and tried them out. Hope this helps you. Merry Christmas
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM

I would decide what features I wanted, then go looking at the various machines in my price range with those features. Sit and try them and do it at your own pace. Don't let the salespeople sway you, but do consider what they say. Take a friend who knows your budget, wishes etc and let them keep the salesperson busy while you try the machine. They can also be the "downer" to put the brakes on a pushy salesperson if you encounter one.
I wanted needle up/down, drop feed dogs etc. which I got. I do wish I had held out for a larger throat area to do my own quilting a little easier.
Also, if you do a little research on line before you hit the shops, you'll know what is or isn't a good deal.
Of course, service and classes to show you what your machine can do have to be considered too.
Good luck and enjoy the search. Don't be afraid to bargain a little, it can't hurt and you have nothing to lose if you do it in a nice manner.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Why don't you just buy some cams for your 403? A few cams would be cheaper than a whole new machine, just for those stitches.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM

I used to have the Janome 6500 and now have the 7700 (DD has the 6500) and they are both great machines (as is the 6600). The 7700 and 6600 have the accufeed system so you don't need a walking foot. These are big machines with a lot of room under the harp. It depends on your budget. Janome also has some smaller machines that have a lot of features (12 pounds) and they have similar features. In addition to a bunch of stitches, I find I need need needle up/down a thread cutter and the ability to do a 7mm width stitch.

Kathyz gave good advice -- write down the features you want, find the machines that have those features and find the closest dealer and try the machines out.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Red face

Thanks so much you all. You made me think about the features and I really hadn't given that much thought on that which is very important. I have always bought used machines or hand me downs and I can afford a nicer machine now but was not sure of everybody's favorite. Seems like Janome or Phaff are high on the list. What about Baby Lock? I have been looking for cams for my 403, they seem to be very expensive too. I purchased the 403 at a sale for $5.00. Got it running, it does have one zig zag cam in it that does not work. I does do a pretty good straight stitch tho. Oh I'm so pit-T-ful. LOL

Last edited by bmanley; 12-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina 440 QE but you are looking at $2500 to $3000. There are many good machines to choose from. As others have said, "shop around for what you want."
Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM

I now have two Brothers and I like them both. My first one is a large Brother Innovis 2000 Lauren Ashley. Runs about $1300-$2300. It does it all and I love it. I just purchased a smaller Brother so I can tote it around. It is the Brother Disney model that sews and embroideries. It has around 100 different stitches and also embroideries. Runs about $750-$800.

The others are right. Go to a reliable dealer and see what they have to offer within your price range. Sew on it and get to know the machine.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 PM

When this topic has come up from time to time, it is very obvious that people usually love their machines and are very loyal to the brand. Same thing when the topic of e-readers comes up. You have been given some great advice. I have a Pfaff and love it. My sister bought a Babylock last year and she loves hers. I know Janomes are very popular.
The best advice is to take your time and don't feel pressured to make a decision. Good luck and have fun shopping.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 PM

I just purchased a Janome Horizon...after much looking and finally tossing a coin....not really, but it was hard to decide because I know it's the last machine I'll buy (new)....I've had a Bernina 1230 for 25 years, but the new ones are way more than I've comfortable spending...The Pfaff 4.0 didn't work for me and I traded down for a Smarter, but that was too difficult for filling the bobbin...and the needle threader worked only occassionaly.....The dealer is letting me trade it in on the Horizon....although she was really pushing the Laura Ashley....I've had the Horizon for less than a week, so I am just trying things out...Good luck....Hattie