Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of new sewing machine should I buy. >

What kind of new sewing machine should I buy.

What kind of new sewing machine should I buy.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM

I have a Babylock Espire for sale if interest PM me
Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM

If the zig zag feature on your 403 is not working, the cam is possibly not seated correctly or the bar that swings the needle is stuck with old oil - it turns to a hard, sticky substance like varnish.

A serious cleaning of the inside from the top, bottom and nose plate will start to alleviate the situation. Here's a picture of the bar that pushes the needlebar side to side - oil in this spot and start pushing the needlebar back and forth until it gives way and starts moving. There is about a half-inch of movement in this bar when it's working properly.
Attached Thumbnails 102_1495e.jpg  

Last edited by thepolyparrot; 12-19-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
I have been looking for cams for my 403, they seem to be very expensive too.
Where are you looking??? Cams can be had for only a few dollars each.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM

If you search eBay for accessory sets for the 600 & 700 series of Touch & Sew machines, the black "top hat" cams will all work fine as will the slant-shank attachments that were originally included with those sets. (the white cams will not function correctly - they will not even seat properly in your 403)

The sets for the Touch & Sews sell for far less than the sets sold specifically for the 400 and 500 Slant-o-Matics.

I've seen very large sets of the black "top hat" disks with a lot of attachments and sometimes even buttonholers and other options sell for $10-20 plus postage, which will run about $12 via Flat Rate Priority mail. Many times, these sets don't even get a bid.

Get a box of q-tips and a bottle of acetone or denatured alcohol to clean the steel parts inside the machine, a bottle of Tri-Flow to oil it all and you have a wonderful hard-working machine for a pretty small investment.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:04 PM

thepolyparrot, thanks so much that very well could be the problem. Will certainly try that. It was very, very dirty when I got it. Oiled and cleaned it up but probably didn't check that part.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Also, thanks so much for the info in the cams. I was wandering if any other cams would work. You all are great. I will know what to order if I can get the zig zag needle to work.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks for your input Judi. I truly appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM

I have a 30 year old Elna Carina, a 16 year old Bernina Activa, a Janome 6600 and a brand new Juki HZL 600. I needed the Juki like I needed a hole in the head, but I found it online for under $1000 and I could not resist. I like each machine for different things, but for sheer value, I'd go with the Juki. I found mine at Ken's Sewingcenter (online store). It was used at a weekend quilting expo and came with a 30-day moneyback guarantee. I do at least as much dressmaking and heirloom sewing as I do quilting, and that might not hold true for everyone. I do love having 4 machines--let's me keep 4 projects going.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
Seems like Janome or Phaff are high on the list. What about Baby Lock?
I used to be loyal to Pfaff but they are not the quality that they once were. (Bought out and going for cheap imho). Now I have a Baby Lock and just LOVE that machine. My model is the Espire which is now marketed as the Symphonie. It has so many features, I don't know what to do with them all. Nice large harp, great light, needle down, adjustable speed, awesome stitch quality, built-in scissors, drop-in bobbin, single push threader (the bomb!), large table, and she sews sideways. I wish she had a built-in walking foot but.....it's not such a big deal to add one on.