Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some encouragement >

Need some encouragement

Need some encouragement

Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
If you cut them too small, or can't get a big enough piece from the shirt you can use sashing around the block to make them all the same size. That's what a lot of my friends do with their t-shirt quilts, the t-shirt part may be different sizes but they make the block even sized by using sashing.
What she said. I've done a lot of t-shirt quilts and adding sashing is the way to go so they all come out the same.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
If you cut them too small, or can't get a big enough piece from the shirt you can use sashing around the block to make them all the same size. That's what a lot of my friends do with their t-shirt quilts, the t-shirt part may be different sizes but they make the block even sized by using sashing.
This is what I was going to suggest.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 AM

ok, you did a great deed! encouragement?! you bet! I have to admit I am still learning, but you did something, you volunteered to do something, you shouldn't over look that, and if I can say this, God will richly bless you for that "deed". Now on to your project. Take your time to do what you are going to do,

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE. How many days till Christmas? well you can do it! Hey if Santa and his elves can make toys and have them ready by Christmas eve, (its magic , some say) well you can do it! and if I may, just may take that miracle to get it done, so expect the impossible from the ONE that makes things possible.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM

I think I can. I think I can. You CAN do it!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN
The secret to t-shirt quilts is to iron on the fusible interfacing FIRST, before you cut. That takes care of the stretching problems. I made one for my stepson. I went to the local glass shop and asked them to cut me a 16" piece of plexiglass, they did, no problem (cheap too). I laid the template on the interfaced t-shirt and zip-zap I had nice squares, all the same size. I did sash them but only because I thought it needed color.
What type of fusible interfacing do you use? I have T-shirts from my twins who are now 22. I would love to make a quilt for each of them. But don't really know how to start cutting out the designs on the shirts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much
Old 12-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Sashing is my 'best friend' when making T-shirt quilts. Not only does it help to size the blocks, it also adds interest. One customer wanted all the blocks the same and it was 'boring'!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:58 PM

I put them on a sheet pinned them down, various sizes made it interesting. Then put different size sashing between them, in different colors or do in black for stained glass look.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
my granddaughter brought me a sack of shirts for a quilt. i've never done a t-shirt quilt before. i'm sorta dreading it.
They are really pretty easy. Just put a backing on the back of the T-shirt, BEFORE you cut. It will keep the shape much better. Easier tobsew.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Go Sam Go! You're doing great, only a couple more to do...which you might already have done by the time you see this! lol
I think the sashing fabric is perfect, just enough different from the black shirt that it will show up & set them off.

:thumbup: :D:D:D:D:D
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM

I used lightweight cotton fusible interfacing. I slit the sides of the shirt, cut the sleeves off, then slit the shoulder seams all the way. Then I took the part of the t-shirt that I wanted to use on the quilt (in my case it was the fronts of the shirts) and ironed the interfacing on the reverse side of the design on the t-shirt, a little larger than the square that I wanted to cut it. Then I layed the template on the front, centered over the design, and rotary cut around it. Then you add sashing and borders. Your quilt top is done. Hope this helped.