Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Returned my Shark iron! >
  • Returned my Shark iron!

• Returned my Shark iron!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM

okay, here goes this is what I know about iron. All iron that you add water to will at some point leak... I use a 1950's travel iron that I get on eBay for around any where from 15.00 to 20.00. They get very hot! I mean you can make a grilled cheese with one....the only con is that they do not shut off which is what I want when I am work. I hate when I am ready to iron my quilt and the iron has to heat up again...if you want steam you should use a water bottle like our grandma's did...hope this helps if you all want a picture of the iron let me know.
    Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM

I bought a "Signature Digital with automatic shut-off from Walgreen's a couple of years ago and I have had no issues with it. The shut-off time is probably around 10 minutes, but I usually coordinate my pressing and then turn it off trying to save electric cost when I can.
    Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 PM

I also have the GE from 60's love it, gave $5 for it 10 years ago would not trade it for anything. I also bought another a few years ago paid $8 for it saving for later when needed. They get really hot and have a small spray bottle that screws on if you want steam.
    Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM

I have a Sunbeam that leaks really bad.
    Old 12-16-2010, 02:36 PM

It's funny that I see this post. I was going to come on here today and post asking for iron recommendations. My old iron (old Sunbeam from the 70's) didn't seem to be getting hot enough anymore, so I threw it in the garbage and went out and bought a new GE iron. That one didn't seem to heat up hardly at all so I put it in the closet and went out and bought a newer Sunbeam iron. Well, that one worked for less than 2 months so that went in the garbage (can't find receipt to return it) and now am using the GE and it doesn't ever get hot enough to actually iron any wrinkles out of the fabric. Reading these posts with high interest!!
    Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
    I have a rather inexpensive Panasonic iron that has been the best iron I have ever owned. And I had a Shark vac once and it was a piece of %$#@@@.
    Me too. Very inexpensive Panasonic from Wal-Mart and I love it. My SIL has 2 different Rowenta irons and likes my Panasonic better that her two expensive irons.
    Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM

I thought that I was the only one that doesn't like the automatic shut off feature on the shark iron. Every time that I iron and put it down to move the item that I'm ironing it turns it self off,have to shake it turn the dial on and off to get it to work. I guess that I will try a cheapie iron and see how that goes. PS I really hate to iron.
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltinginSD
    My DH got me an iron for our anniversary last year (romantic, huh?) and it's a Rowenta. It says Made in Germany and he bought it at Target, where it's on sale right now for $85. I love it and would pay that much to get another one!
    Amen,,,,I love my Rowenta!!
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM

I posted this on another iron question.

I STILL use my GE that I got as an engagement present almost 40 years ago. Still perfect, still steams like crazy. They don't make 'em like they used to.
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
    mim

I get the best (and old style) irons at Goodwill, SA, or tag sales. None of this shutting off stuff. When I am doing a quilt top, I sew then press, then sew, etc. And my treasure is a plain - no steam holes - iron that I can use with a pressing cloth and not have bumps -- when I press embriodery or velvets. It must be a real antique by now.