Can these numbers be right. >

Can these numbers be right.

Can these numbers be right.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 AM

Excuse me, what is a GO?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 AM

What is a GO?

Originally Posted by carolaug
Buy a GO...it will pay for its self in months...for me the hours of cutting alone is worth it!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 AM

I don't really buy them either, I like them, but don't have a plan for their use, so I just buy stash fabric. I hardly buy fat quarters either unless they are a great price. I would rather have a half or full yard of fabric. Unless I am making a scrappy look for something special.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM
RST

Sherri,
I've used a lot of Moda pre-cuts and never had one that was off in the cuts. And I'm pretty particular and do check every time.

If you buy precuts that are put together by a store or an online seller, it's going to vary, for sure.

Now cuts from that chain we all know about that starts with a J -- those are going to be off, by a lot, and you can count on it, so if you want a nice strip 6 inches wide, you better buy at least a 1/3 yard cut, and then spend the time straightening it.

RST
Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
So I was trying to calculate how much those precut fabric bundles really cost and I came up with this...
layer cake, about 42 ten inch squares equals 2.34 yards of fabric.
Average price of fabric $7 a yard
2.34 yards = 19.25
price of layer cake about $35
I based these on info from a reasonably priced fabric site and going by Moda fabrics.
That makes the layer cake fabric about twice the price of the cut fabric. Can this be right? If so someone is making out like a bandit. Now I can cut my own fabric squares. Precuts are nice and convenient but from now on I will rethink my purchasing options. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Layer cakes ARE more $ than buying yardage but I noticed 2 things in your comparison:
1) I came up with 2.77 yds. Moda Layer cakes all have 40 squares. You only get 4 -10" squares from 42-44" fabric. Multiply X 10" squares, you need 10 - 10" strips wof to get 40 squares =100" of yardage. Divide by 36" yd= 2.77 yds
2) Price - you quote an Avg price of $7 which alters the comparison a lot. I haven't seen any current Moda lines in our LQS or even online for less than $8.50 yd and most are $9-9.50. Using a more realistic avg. of $9 yd x 2.77 yd = $24.93. The difference is about $10 - but it's precut and you get ALL the colorways in a line. :)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 AM

I will buy precuts if it gives me the variety I need for a certain design. Even if it is more expensive per yard, it is still cheaper then buying a minimum half yard cut, required by some online stores, of each fabric in a collection.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Theoretically, one could get 44 squares from a 110 inch length of fabric (3 yards 2 inches) (Width of fabric between 41 and 45 inches)

The precut variety packs may be worth it if one wants a very small amount of each of many different fabrics.

Aren't Moda fabrics - regularly priced - frequently at least $10/yard?

So $35 for a 42 pack would not be that unreasonable if fabric is going for $10/yard.
Moda Layer cakes all have 40 squares (their charm pks all have 42 now) and yes, a more realistic $/yd price is at least $9 & up now ...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
I have only bought the charms when they were $2.xx each. 25 in the pack....so I thought that was a great deal! :)
That's a great deal ! ... the lowest I've found for 25 from some Manuf. (Benartex, Thimbleberriese etc) is $5 or so. Moda's packs have 42 but of course they're more -
Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I thought about the extra cost but decided my time is worth something. I like getting all the coordinating fabrics without the shopping, pressing, and cutting. Cutting is one of my least favorite parts about quilting. And as someone else said you're sure to get accurate cuts. Pre-cuts are a real incentive for me to get going on a project.
This bit about getting accurate cuts from precuts is not quite true. Too many times have I and others I know found them to be off by nearly 1/4 inch which can lead to serious problems when sewing together the whole quilt. Supposedly, precuts are becoming more accurate. I don't think I will be buying them. Rots of Ruck! Happy quilting.
I have yet to have a problem with any Moda precuts, but I HAVE with other Manuf. that were short or cut very crookedly ... watch out for Hoffman's Bali strips & Benartex charm pks
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM

I have heard to many horror stories about precuts regardless of type being off. I never buy them and won't in the future. I'd rather make my own mistakes with cutting my yardage than paying for someone else's. As for purchasing many different fabrics in a collection usually it's not all that much in a specific colorway so I haven't found it to be a problem.