Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So upset! >

So upset!

So upset!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I have three tops pieced, and I was quilting the table runner for my mom for Christmas when my 1 year old machine made a growling noise and just stopped working. It took about 15 minutes for me to pry my 1/3 of the way quilted top out of the machine without ripping or pulling threads.

I called the local machine shop and it'll be up to 3 weeks before they can get my machine in for service!!

I'm just so upset right now - these are all supposed to be Christmas gifts and there's no way I'm a fast enough hand quilter to get two 45x65 tops done!

I took out my old machine, a White, and it keeps having tension issues so I'm horribly frustrated right now and my husband (as good as he is) just doesn't "get" it as to why I'm so upset. It's because I worked for HOURS on the tops and I wanted to give them to my BIL and SIL for Christmas since we haven't seen them in 5 years!

Thanks for letting me vent - I needed to get this off my chest to people who do understand! I'll be popping back on and let you all know if I get the tension issues fixed. :(
Can you rent one from the repair shop? Perhaps you have a friend that has more than one machine that might help you out, or a rental store in town. If not give an IOU and show them what you're doing for their gifts and let them know that when you're back in business with your machine, you will get their gifts to them. I am sure they will be overjoyed at what they see and be more than glad to wait. So sorry for your problem, but hang in there. Have a Merry Christmas anyway!!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:14 AM

I like that idea. I was going to suggest that you give them an IOU but letting them see it first is a great idea.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by 978gray
The best idea is to give them a photo and let them know it will be coming as soon as your machine is repaired.

Trust me, they will understand and the gift will be even more appreciated after the hub bub of Chirstmas has died down.
I agree with this. And I liked the idea of giving cookies or candy with the picture.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Know exactly how you feel - my Pfaff 4020 packed up yesterday. There's a very fragile wire hook that is integral to the bobbin working properly. at the beginning of September it became detatched so took it to the local S/M repair man and it cost me £42.50 and a 24hr wait. He said it would need replacing but if I was careful and didn't sew at a 100mph it would last a while. That while lasted 3 months. I've rung the dealer which is 60miles away and they can't do anything about it til the new year. That's a long time without my favourite. I have a Janome Jem but it's so tiny I can't machine quilt with it. I shall have to spend time at my MILs using her machine to finish off the gifts - couple of lap quilts that need MQ one of which is hers!!. 20 mugrugs, and 3 tablerunners I can finish on the Jem. Hoping you all finish off your Christmas gifts in time. Have a good holiday. God bless you all

Jesus is the reason for the season.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 AM

I am so sorry to hear that, however I would agree with okiepastor and give them either a photo or the completed tops and tell them that they will get the completed quilts when you have you machine repaired! I am so sure that they will understand!

TreeFrog
Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM

I only had one machine and when it was in the shop I would have withdrawals. Went to the Goodwill and bought a 1974 Kenmore for $15.00 and it works beautifully! I did have to buy a quarter inch foot, but the machine is great when mine is down.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 AM

I took a baby quilt I had not finished, wrapped it with a note saying I would take it home, finish it and mail it to her when it was done. (had to finish binding) I also gave her the option of a sleeve on the back to hang it.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM

My sister has the same machine. She had the same problem. My hubby took off the side piece where the light is and cleaned out the area where the little thing goes up and down. It had a bunch of thread wrapped around it. That is what caused her problem. Just a thought to try and see. Hope t his works
Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM

So sorry this has happened to you. I had my machine start squeaking and even after oiling and cleaning it still squeaked. So took it to my repair guy Wed. and he called on Thur and said it was fixed. Something about the feeder dogs being out of kelter. Felt so lucky to get it in the day I called and back the next day. Only charged me $50 plus tax. Live in Salt Lake City, Ut so if any of you sewers need someone reliable in SL let me know and I will give you his name and number. This is the second time I have had him work on my machine. Very happy with his work.
Ellie
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM

I bet you growled back -- (but ) -- Not for Publication.
Good luck with finishing your quilts for Christmas
lol from Gleniveve