Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can these numbers be right. >

Can these numbers be right.

Can these numbers be right.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 AM

ConnectingThreads.com does not charge any extra for cutting, so if you buy any of their pre-cuts, you get the same amount as in full yardage.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 AM

I have bought many layer cakes and charm packs, and hardly ever paid full price for them. I love having all the different fabics from a line. I mostly buy from ebay, or from burgundybuttons.com . She has great prices on them.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM
alimaui

I LOVE precuts! I buy them all the time. I usually don't pay more than $25 for my Layer Cakes or JR.

I AM WILLING to pay a bit more to get a wonderfully coordinated mix of fabrics. Yes, someone can go buy a "GO" and cut their own strips, but I don't want 40 strips of only 5 different colors.

Those of us that don't go gaga over the bow tucks bag don't sit here and tell you why we don't like them. Leave the PRECUTS alone!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Precuts come from many fabrics, if you bought all the fabrics for a layer cake(you would have to have at least a fat quarter or 1/3 yd of each) it would cost you more that the layer cake. If you are building a stash, precuts are not the way to go. If it is for a pattern and you do not want to buy a lot of fabric, precuts can be economical.

If I have a project in mind, I will buy a precut if it will work. At this point, I do not need more scraps.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM

I've never had any problem with Moda precuts. They sure are convenient. Though I don't buy many unless they fall into my lap cheap. Which is not very often.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
QKO

If you're buying pre-cuts, you're paying for several things in addition to just the fabric.

If you want to make layer cakes or charm packs or strip bundles and sell them:

1. Go out and purchase at least one bolt of each of the 40 or so fabrics contained in the package. While you're at it, spend thousands of dollars on precision cutting equipment and supplies as well as packaging equipment and extras, like ribbon, etc. Make sure you also budget for expendables on your equipment.

2. Now that you've made that investment, hire someone to do the cutting and packaging, or do it yourself, taking time away from more profitable activities. Make sure you also take the time to make sure the person you hired is doing it correctly.

3. Now you're ready to start cutting. Since you can't cut just one of the above-mentioned items, cut at least two sets and usually a lot more. Toss out a lot of fabric that is wasted during the cutting process. Pitch out all the fabric wasted on cutting errors.

4. Sell a few at full price, then watch the others sit on your shelves until you need to discount them down to loss prices to move them.

BTW, unless you're hand-cutting or have really large industrial die-cutting equipment, you can't get 10 inch squares out of 10" strips. You need at least a half-inch overlap around the squares if you're die-cutting, so that means a minimum of an 11 inch strip to make 10 inch squares.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Buy a GO...it will pay for its self in months...for me the hours of cutting alone is worth it!!!
I'm getting one for Christmas and can't wait! I've been getting ready by buying dies when I see good sales.

I've had a lot of trouble with a tendon injury in my right elbow, with the pain radiating up to my shoulder and down to my wrist at times. I'm hoping that turning the Go will cause less pain than cutting with the rotary cutter.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QKO
If you're buying pre-cuts, you're paying for several things in addition to just the fabric.

1. Go out and purchase at least one bolt of each of the 40 or so fabrics contained in the package. While you're at it, spend thousands of dollars on precision cutting equipment and supplies as well as packaging equipment and extras, like ribbon, etc. Make sure you also budget for expendables on your equipment.

2. Now that you've made that investment, hire someone to do the cutting and packaging, or do it yourself, taking time away from more profitable activities. Make sure you also take the time to make sure the person you hired is doing it correctly.

3. Now you're ready to start cutting. Since you can't cut just one of the above-mentioned items, cut at least two sets and usually a lot more. Toss out a lot of fabric that is wasted during the cutting process. Pitch out all the fabric wasted on cutting errors.

4. Sell a few at full price, then watch the others sit on your shelves until you need to discount them down to loss prices to move them.

BTW, unless you're hand-cutting or have really large industrial die-cutting equipment, you can't get 10 inch squares out of 10" strips. You need at least a half-inch overlap around the squares if you're die-cutting, so that means a minimum of an 11 inch strip to make 10 inch squares.
I think we tend to forget all the overhead/extras involved in making precuts. Thank you for the info.

Originally Posted by QKO

Awesome post. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I thought about the extra cost but decided my time is worth something. I like getting all the coordinating fabrics without the shopping, pressing, and cutting. Cutting is one of my least favorite parts about quilting. And as someone else said you're sure to get accurate cuts. Pre-cuts are a real incentive for me to get going on a project.
This bit about getting accurate cuts from precuts is not quite true. Too many times have I and others I know found them to be off by nearly 1/4 inch which can lead to serious problems when sewing together the whole quilt. Supposedly, precuts are becoming more accurate. I don't think I will be buying them. Rots of Ruck! Happy quilting.
I have yet to have a problem with any Moda precuts, but I HAVE with other Manuf. that were short or cut very crookedly ... watch out for Hoffman's Bali strips & Benartex charm pks
My sister had bali pops that weren't cut right. She didn't think to check until she had started sewing them together.