Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody done a t-shirt quilt??? >

Anybody done a t-shirt quilt???

Anybody done a t-shirt quilt???

Old 10-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Brazen, your tshirt quilt looks great!! I just made one and am about to do another as we type:))I could not do the straight blocks like brazen's...she(my kid) had waaaay too many tshirts, her name, etc to put in this quilt. I did mine backwards:))I started out putting a 2 1/2" border around a few of the tshirts before I realized that there was no way they all would fit! Unless I wanted to cover my whole state w/this quilt!:)So, I set it on the floor and puzzled them and added 3 sides of borders on some, etc. I took about 20 of them that had smaller print on the front and cut them all the same size and actually turned them so they run sideways across the top of the quilt. I then quilted it doing the stippling and did not run across the rubber stamping on the fronts for I didn't want to leave holes. Some were too thick in print. I won't post a pic for there is too much personal info w/school names etc. I used a bright girlie plaid for the borders around the shirts and yes, I used a stabilizer to thicken the tshirts and make them firm. Much easier to work with that way. Hope this helps...trial and error is always a good thing:))Skeat
Old 10-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Brazen, your tshirt quilt looks great!!
Hey! I wish I could claim that quilt that I posted as mine, but I can't!! It's one that my husband found when he was Googling "Harley t-shirt quilts". He wants me to reproduce it and make one like it for HIM. But I haven't done it yet. :D
Old 10-25-2008, 10:21 AM

I'm working on a t-shirt quilt right now. All of the logos were different sizes, so I used the company colors and made blocks to add to the logo blocks so that they would all be uniforms in size. I bought a variety of fat quarters in the same family of colors. I did flying geese, 9-patch, windmill, log cabin, rail fence, etc. I really is looking nice. I wish that I could send pics. Then I used the same fabric for the sashing and backing. It's a small plaid that reads solid from afar.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 AM

Pictures! WE WAnt Pictures!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 PM

I only WISH I could send pictures. I tell you -- I'm a doe-doe when it comes to the computer and my digital camera. (I'm stuck in the 50s). DH says that as soon as the tail grows (bank acct.) we'll get a new 'puter. [We've just bought a new stove, fridge, and TV.] I'm told my computer is not compatible to my camera.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:54 PM

We can wait. Hope the tail grows soon
Old 10-25-2008, 01:09 PM

I am working on my fourth tshirt quilt now. The first I did was with my sons huge 2X shirts and they were sewn together with no sashing. I will attempt to post a picture of the last one I did. It was with smaller tshirts of my son which were not the same size. I also tried to use strips of the backs of the shirts for the sashing........BAD MISTAKE!! It really needs fabric between to make it a little sturdier. Now for my attempt at showing you the picture. Good luck. They are really fun and such a good way to use shirts you hate to depart with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-36949.jpe
Views:	122
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	36949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-36950.jpe
Views:	119
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	36950  
Old 10-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Here are some of my t-shirt quilts - have done several and have done several types. I love making them and the people love receiving them. Such memories. I have done several for school auctions, and for friends.

For a Friend
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20889[/ATTACH]

For a school auction
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20890[/ATTACH]

Name:	Attachment-20889.jpe
Views:	29
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	20889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-20890.jpe
Views:	31
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	20890  
Old 10-25-2008, 03:58 PM

I made this sampler with a few Tshirts mixed in for RFL quilt raffle

Name:	Attachment-36955.jpe
Views:	119
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	36955  
Old 10-26-2008, 07:34 AM

All of your quilts are so spectacular. i hope mine turns out half as good. I am beginning to love this idea more and more. Awesome work ladies. Thanks for sharing them with me. I am going to have to hit the yard sales for t-shirts now. Most of mine look kinda worn out.