Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-Shirt Too Cool T-shirt method:opinion--- interfacing or not? >

T-Shirt Too Cool T-shirt method:opinion--- interfacing or not?

T-Shirt Too Cool T-shirt method:opinion--- interfacing or not?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:49 PM

Default T-Shirt Too Cool T-shirt method:opinion--- interfacing or not?

I have read through many posts on this website about making T shirts quilts. I purchased the book Too Cool T-Shirt by Andrea Funk and it looks fabulous. I am wondering if anyone has made a t shirt quilt with this method, specifically, not using the interfacing? Also, does anyone who used this particular book have any advice/suggestions/tips from your experience in making the quilt? I am fortunate to have a husband who is going to make me all the necessary plexiglass templates. I love the look of the quilts. Such interesting layouts instead of rows of uniform T shirts.
MA
Old 01-15-2016, 04:08 PM

My daughter has made several quilts using this method and has never used a stabilizer for the shirts. They've turned out great. Here is the one she made me.
Attached Thumbnails img_0318.jpg  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:23 AM

I've seen some T-shirt quilts made without stabilizer, and they didn't look too good. Maybe if you are an excellent quilter, you may get away with it, but they look soooo much better if they are stabilized.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Using stabilizer does not mean you have to make uniform rows of T-shirts. I have made at least 8 T-shirt quilts and all of them I used stabilizer. Here is a picture of one I made using the stabilizer method and not doing the shirts in
uniform rows:

. [ATTACH=CONFIG]540290[/ATTACH]

I agreed with maviskw, if you have experience you can give it a shot. I am curious, does the book recommend doing anything at all to the shirts to minimize the stretchy-ness? Such as starching heavily, sewing them to some sort of foundation or stay stitching around the blocks? I simply can't imagine attempting to make one without somehow controlling the stretching and curling inherent in working with knitted T-shirt material, Additionally if you do make without a stabilizer you are committed to quilting VERY densely as gramajo's quilt demonstrates. There is no getting around that due to the nature of the beast. Stabilized T's will allow you to quilt less densely. In fact, my first half dozen I tied every 4" as I did not have a longarm. You can quilt them on a domestic but be prepared for a workout. T-shirt quilts are incredibly heavy, even without stabilizer.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03770.jpg  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:43 AM

I have only made 2 t-shirt quilts and I used stabilizer. I haven't seen this method bt if I do any more, I will sure chek it out. Your quilting is always fantastic. so, I'm sure you will do well.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

T-shirt are just so stretchy especially after you cut off the neck and sleeves. If you haven't made one before, I suggest using the featherweight Pellon interfacing that can bought at JAF.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Mother (mostly) made this one a year before her stroke, with my assistance, using stabilizer, different sized blocks and insertion pieced blocks. My niece took the photo; she's not a quilter, but 'commissioned' it for her DH 40th birthday. My mom, bless her heart, made it, including all the cost associated with it, for $100. (I was furious for mom's sake; reason #1 why I refused to make it and only contributed the piecing fabrics.)

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails tshirt-quilt-2014.jpg  
Old 01-16-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Using stabilizer does not mean you have to make uniform rows of T-shirts. I have made at least 8 T-shirt quilts and all of them I used stabilizer. Here is a picture of one I made using the stabilizer method and not doing the shirts in
uniform rows:

. [ATTACH=CONFIG]540290[/ATTACH]

I agreed with maviskw, if you have experience you can give it a shot. I am curious, does the book recommend doing anything at all to the shirts to minimize the stretchy-ness? Such as starching heavily, sewing them to some sort of foundation or stay stitching around the blocks? I simply can't imagine attempting to make one without somehow controlling the stretching and curling inherent in working with knitted T-shirt material, Additionally if you do make without a stabilizer you are committed to quilting VERY densely as gramajo's quilt demonstrates. There is no getting around that due to the nature of the beast. Stabilized T's will allow you to quilt less densely. In fact, my first half dozen I tied every 4" as I did not have a longarm. You can quilt them on a domestic but be prepared for a workout. T-shirt quilts are incredibly heavy, even without stabilizer.
Not really. The author suggests to back only a few types of fabric (jersey fabric, mesh, fabric with holes). She suggests using t shirt material to do this. I have decided to use Pellon 906 based on the many comments on this website. I am not a quilter so I will send it out when I am finished. That was a very good point made about the quilt requiring dense quilting. Thank you for taking the time to respond everyone!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM

I know a gal that made several with her method and they came out fine.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:45 PM

This is my T-shirt quilt made with stabilizer and I'm not sure that there are any two blocks the same size. I'm currently working on one for my other daughter in pretty much the same manner. This time I am making the blocks all divisible by 3 I didn't think that through the first time. [ATTACH=CONFIG]540316[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails kh-tshirt-.jpg