Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hot or Cold Packs >

Hot or Cold Packs

Hot or Cold Packs

Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM

They will love them. My husband has been in the hospital for almoazt 4 weeks aand he wanted to do something for all the nurses I just finished 20 santa hat bags. They were so much fun. I filled them with a # of coffee and a box of cookies.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Do you have a pattern for these? Would love to make some for the hunters in my family.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetness
Thanks for all the kind words. Ya'll are so sweet. I wanted someone to be excited about them for me and I knew ya'll would. Hopefully, at least the ladies at the job will...not so sure about the guys, but I tried :)

Some of you have asked about a pattern. I looked online and tried several variations. The finally one that I like the best and is SUPER east to put together is this:

COVER:
-Backing Fabric (1)(cut whatever size you want) Ex: 9x18
-Contrast Fabric(2)(cut both3" longer than backing) Ex: 9x21
-Sew double roll a 1/4" seam on the short ends of both the contrast fabric pieces.
-Place backing fabric right side up on table.
-Lay (1) contrast fabric piece face down on top of the backing fabric with the seam towards the middle. Then take the other piece of contrast fabric and lay it on the other end with the seam towards the middle. This should make a sandwich with right sides together and the two seams overlapping each other by approximately 3".
-Sew around the edges of the entire sandwich, clip corners, turn inside out.

INSERT:
-Use muslin and cut a folded piece the same size as your backing fabric (but it will be twice as long) ie: 9x36
- With wrong sides together, sew down the long sides of the piece to form a big tube. Turn inside out.
- Find the center of the tube and sew a line lengthwise to create two tubes.
- Fill each of the tubes with feed corn. Making sure to leave approximaltey 3-3.5" of room at the top.
- Sew the tube closed a 1/4" from the opening.
- Fold top over and create a double seam. I sew over this 3x to ensure it is secure.

Then wiggle your corn pack into your fabric cover. It's a tight fit but it will go...just have to manuver the corn around a bit.

Then add an instruction card. If you're doing something smaller/bigger, adjust the warming times...(test them yourself 1st).

Hope this makes sense...enjoy :) I'll try to answer any questions you have. You can fill these with rice or flaxseed too. I like the corn because it's inexpensive, heat stays longers and the heft of it feels good on cramps, etc. If I make small ones then I use rice. You can add oils or herbs too just depends on how fancy you want to get!

Happy Holidays!
Thanks for the tute!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM

Great useful gifts that are so attractive too.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:58 PM

WoW, I bet that was a big job. Very nicely done.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM

great presents , i hope you saved one for your BF, after carrying all those he will need one for his sore muscles!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I have heard of these but not sure how they work. What instructions do you include? or how do you use them?
Great tut!
SandyGail
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Great gift I made some with rice and had Hanna Montan material and made them for my scout troop. I thing the moms liked them more I put in so sented drop.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
Great job! What wonderful gifts. I have made "corn bags" also. They are great. Just for your info, my daughter designed one for her feet (she has athritis). It has two sections; folds over with handles. She can put her feet (or hands) inside it. You can also open it (12 x 20) and use for a bed warmer.
Yes ma'am...I have several as I have RA & fibro. They can be life savers at home or work!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by vwquilting
They will love them. My husband has been in the hospital for almoazt 4 weeks aand he wanted to do something for all the nurses I just finished 20 santa hat bags. They were so much fun. I filled them with a # of coffee and a box of cookies.
that's so sweet of you. i hope he's doing better now.