Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 AM

Love the room! Lots of space. May I move in?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 AM

Since I have Lupus, florescent is out of the question. Florescent puts off UV rays. I can not even shop for more than 30 minutes because most stores use florescent. We have put in 1 large floor lamp with regular bulbs and the overhead lights in the bedroom. Works great. We are not getting ready to move my "studio" into another part of the house and we are planning on putting in camn lights. It will be interesteing to hear what you decide.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 AM

I am curious as to WHY we will have to buy the halogen bulbs. Is this supposed to save energy? Sooooooo we turn on the light and the light get HOT, then we turn on the fan to cool us because the light is HOT. We will not have a choice of what light bulb we prefer to use to save WHAT. Does anyone notice the "circle around the bush (no not George). Sometimes I think the creators of these idiotic ideas stay awake nights and think of ways to make life here more difficult AND expensive. Also, the halogen bulbs do not last the so called 5 years and are TOO expensive.

Okay I'm off my soap box for now. I just wish someone could would explain to me the logical, money saving, energy saving reasons AND tell the truth in advertising.

Wishing Everyone a New Year of Blessings, Good Health, closure to problems, love and of course peace. Gosh I love this quilting community. Thank you for being with me at my coffee cache.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 AM

I have a table Ott light behind my sewing machine. It came with a weighted base or a screw to attach to the edge of a table. I use the base. I can adjust it up and around to shine on my design wall behind my table or up higher if I'm cutting. I've a floor Ott light over my ironing table. That one sits on a box to make it be high enough above the ironing board. I just bought a 25 w HD lamp to go in a lamp in my living room. It says it's to replace a 100 w bulb. It's not bright enough to read by, so that's going back to the store.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
Love the room! Lots of space. May I move in?
Sure! You can see the rest of it in another posting, "Quick, Look, before it gets messed up."
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 AM

I love my Ott lights - but did not know they were going to quit making them - darn! So, need to find out what size bulbs to get and lay in a supply - but they seem to last forever - I have 3 in my sewing area - and love the light - great for seeing actual colors as they really are - like sunlight shining on the fabrics... I go this route also because of the onset of macular degeneration - my Dr. told me to use Ott lights as much as possible for reading and fancy work or sewing - so got a "supply of lights".
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM

I LOVE the Ott lights, have several! We travel a lot & take a small Janome travel machine along always with a small table Ott light. I've given up on the ceiling light set-up .... I use an Ott floor lamp on the right front side of my machine, have a wonderful little (portable) shelf with two LED lights behind the maching & a regular floor lamp positioned on the Left side ..... in my space this works & gives me the light where I need it .... AND wasn't all that expensive, & can move my lighting when I decide to move my sewing station.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM

I do not care for florescent lights. They make a buse sounds and unless you purchases the natural light bulbs, they don't give you true colors. I have 4 of the circle bulbs in my over head lights since my room is 18 X 28, and I still feel I'm in the dark.
I like a LED light that is mounted on to my sewing cabinet, it doesn't get hot and cost about 80% less to run. They do cost about $60. per light to purchases, but will pay for themself in a couple years.
I have two Ott Lights and they do give a person true color, but I don't find them giving me enough light to sew.
I also have a track light over my sewing machine and it does give me some light, but I find when I bend over he machine, it cuts the light off.
Virgini in TX
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 AM

I have a ceiling fan with 4 bulbs in it. I replaced them with the energy saving bulbs. I also have two table Ott lights on my cutting table. I have a Ott floor lamp by my machine. I have a floresent light above the ironing station. I also have a bendable light but I don't really need it with all the lights I have in there. I love the Ott lights.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 AM

Check out the "See and Sew LED Light" you can find info about it on line. A bit expensive but for me was a wonderful addition to my "wish list" for birthday/Christmas, etc.