Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Lighting Tip and/or Story Time. >

A Lighting Tip and/or Story Time.

A Lighting Tip and/or Story Time.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM

About 3 weeks ago, I posted a question on this QB about lighting by which to hand sew; I was getting an awful glare bouncing off my needle from my incandescent light bulb. All the responses I received were pro-Ott Light. After on-line research and browsing at Joann's, I bought an Ott table lamp at JA using a 50%-off coupon. Compared to my old lamp, the new Ott light was unattractive and stuck out over the bed where I sit & sew, looking like a buzzard waiting for an opportunity to swoop down and attack me. However, its lighting (18w) was sufficient and the glare was cut down considerably. I used it occasionally for 10 days; then it quit working. I suspect faulty bulb(s) but decided to return it for a refund. Since I had paid by check, I had to wait until 14 days from purchase date for a cash refund (as per JA policy). Meanwhile, needing a bedside lamp, I put my old lamp back there, but switched its 3-way incandescent bulb for a 20w helical fluorescent bulb. It's perfect! I get all the light I require and there is no glare.

The moral of this story is: if you find yourself in a similar bad lighting situation, you might wish to try one of those helical fluorescent bulbs BEFORE you purchase a new lamp.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 AM

FYI, you can buy OttLite bulbs with a standard screw in base now.

They are fairly expensive but are available at places like Joann's and are not too bad with a 50% off coupons.

I have never been very fond of the styling of the OttLites lamps and was thrilled when the light bulbs came out.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM

I use both types of lamps when I Hand sew. I have a table lamp with a standard bulb to my right, and a Ott light floor lamp over my right shoulder. The floor lamps are nice, and stylish too. I use the JoAnn's coupon to get it also. I use them to read also.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM

I like Revel light bulbs. They aren't nearly as expensive as other bulbs, but a little more than regular incandesents. They don't have that yellow glare.