Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lighting

In my sewing/guest room, I have a ceiling light with 3 bulbs but that actually is like behind where I am sewing and then I have a small portable on my table.
    I like to have it to the left of me. But now that my project is getting bigger and taking that part of the table it seems that the right side just doest seem to be ok.
    So if you have to use a lamp to sew with where is it best for you?

I have 2 100 watt equivalent florescent bulbs in the ceiling fixture, a big window and a lamp with 3 separate lights on it. It's plenty of light at any time of the day. We also painted the walls with a semi gloss white paint with just a slight tint offset the whiteness. I think we used a yellow hue. I keep my lamp near my machine table.

Blog Entries
    I found a two lamp goose neck floor lamp at Walmart for $12. It was in the dorm room supplies display. It's great. I bought two of them for my sewing room.

Here is a link to a pic. They were cheaper in the store.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...ilver/12173433

i have ceiling hung 3' fluorescent bulbs over 2 machines, 1 over my la and 1 over my oversized cutting board. have 1 in my laundry room and dh says i can have another one over my design wall in the quilting room. they are the best. then i have goosenecks over all the machines, too. no such thing as too much light. but i worked up to this over 40 years. LOL!!

I love my OTT floor lamp!! It has a permanent home behind my sewing table.

here's a related question: does anyone think they have too much light? 'cause i don't. i have old eyes.

I have an Ott table lamp. It really helps.

Ok thanks everyone. So if you have a lamp do you have it in front of you, to the left, or what side is it best?

i have the gooseneck to the left and twisted over the top of the machine. if you put it on the right, it's in the way when you sew. that one is attached to the table. i have the ceiling one directly over the machine.

Blog Entries
    My ceiling fan has a light kit with daylight bulbs. However, they reflect horribly off my rulers and it is bothersome. My sewing machine has a rather dim light and I have a table lamp behind it. I told Pat that I needed a better lighting solution and he gave me a heavy sigh as a reply. Looks like I may have to fight the glare for a while yet.

Blog Entries
    I also use a floor lamp with a goose neck light, it is awesome because it is portable, and I can adjust it as needed.
    I also like it because DB is going to shorten the pole, then I can turn the gooseneck part facing up and use it as a light box too :wink: I can place a piece of plexiglass on the edge of the table and a tv tray and have plenty of light without having to purchase/make and find room to store a light box...

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    here's a related question: does anyone think they have too much light? 'cause i don't. i have old eyes.
    I have the ceiling light, and an ott lamp. And I don't think you can have too much light, but at times, when the sun is shining in my window, I do have to close the shade a bit.

I have currently lousy lighting and need to get a stand up lamp QUICK or go blind. That said I can never and I mean ever thread the needle if the front plate is open (the one that covers the bulb?).. its so darned bright I cant find the hole in the needle. Grr.. if its not one thing.. its my mother! That is a whole different story for a different day. At 90 this May she can be anything she wants to be. The trick is to not be near her when she figures it out!

Blog Entries
    i brought several at joann,s when they were on sale the table top lamp style , that way i can place any where besides my sewing machine , i like them as i have serveral table lamps i just got the bendable bright light that attaches to your sewing machine im really glad that i brought it i can use all the light that need :-D

In my room, the only light that is permanent is the light from the ceiling fan.
    I have an Ott floor lamp that is to the right of my sewing machine and swings over top of me and also an Ott lamp that clamps onto my sewing table. That one is movable around the table depending on where I'm sitting/sewing. My sewing table is a 6 foot banquet table. I now have enough light for everything.

No, there is no such thing as having too much light. Once we are all moved and into a new place, I will DEFINITELY have more light in my sewing space.

My sewing machine sits in front of a window so I get good light from that. I have a standard ceiling light fixture amd two rows of track lights. So I can sew almost anytime with good light.

In my room I am well equipped with light. Barely behind my head is a 4 ft Shop type Florescent light. In the center of the room is the ceiling fan with the 4 lights on it. I have an Ott Floor Light to the left of my machine. The best thing that has helped me is the Bendable Bright Light that I stuck to my machine. That sucker is bright & I do love it! Until I got it, I was not happy with the light situation but that took care of it for me.

I have a pole light that stands on my right side but it
    makes a shadow (I guess cause I'm right handed), so I'm
    going to move it to me left side. Also have a table
    ott lamp. These are at the cutting table. At my sewing
    machine I have hanging lamp to my left and of course
    the sewing machine has its own light. I definitely
    would like more light tho. The ceiling light is really
    useless as you can only put a 60 watt bulb in it.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    You can never have to much light. I have my ceiling fan with 3 60 watt bulbs, a floor lamp with 3 60 watt bulbs that sit by the sewing table, another floor lamp with a 100 watt and a 60 watt, then my Ott light right by the machine, along with the little bulb on the machine. When it is sunny I open up both windows to let the sun in.

I second the recommendation for the Bendable Bright Light. I think it's kind of expensive - around $30 - but it has saved my eyes. You can spotlight exactly where you are sewing. It's always on sale somewhere on the internet.

I have an Ott floor lamp behind my sewing table where I piece. And an old floor lamp with 2 lights behind the sewing table where I machine embroider. Each lamp has some movability so I can am them exactly where I need the light.

Ceiling light, double window on the North (wonderful daylight when I have that luxury).

In addition, I have an OLD swing arm desk lamp. With it I can place the lamp to the right so it's out of the way of my project, but swing the arm so the light comes from the left which I prefer.

I also removed the lid from my machine which covers the thread spindles (it pops up and casts a shadow if there is any light coming from behind it).

I ,too, have an Ott light. I love it.
    I keep a sticky note over the LED screen of my computerized sewing machine. A friend who owns a quilt shop called me one day and said to be careful with my Janome machine that we both had paid thousands for. Her LED was not functioning...she could not determine anything going on with her machine. After a year and a half, the LED screen was out and could not be fixed. The repairman told her that she should not leave her machine where the sunlight could shine on it.(which she had done), He also warned of other light sources shining on the display as well. Ever since, I have placed a sticky note at the top of the screen and raise it to change settings.
    D in TX

Quote Originally Posted by nellie
    i brought several at joann,s when they were on sale the table top lamp style , that way i can place any where besides my sewing machine , i like them as i have serveral table lamps i just got the bendable bright light that attaches to your sewing machine im really glad that i brought it i can use all the light that need :-D
    I'd like to know if members of the board like the bendable light. I've been considering buying one.

I hung a couple of flourescent 2 bulb 40 watt shop lights over my sewing table and that gives me plenty of light. Be sure to buy sunlight or natural light bulbs though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast