Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand Quilting - Lighting Choice?

I am recently having a lot of trouble with glare coming off my needle when I hand quilt. I like to sit & sew on the bed (leaning up against the headboard) in my sewing room and I have a large table lamp (with 3-way bulb) next to the bed. I'm curious to know what kind of lighting you ladies use when you hand stitch for any length of time and if you had/have problems with glare. I need a lot of light so I use the 150-watt option of the 3-way bulb and it shines out of the bottom of the lampshade down onto my work. I know there's got to be something better, where I can still see well, but without the glare.

I really like my Ott light. While it isn't bright, it does have a more natural light to it and doesn't seem to create glare.

I read in Heloise's Hints yesterday that the wattage listed for light bulbs indicates how much power that bulb requires, not how bright it is. So a 40 watt bulb takes only 40 watts to light it, and a 150 watt bulb takes 150 watts to light it. She wrote that the amount of wattage is not an indicator of brightness. This doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    I am recently having a lot of trouble with glare coming off my needle when I hand quilt. I like to sit & sew on the bed (leaning up against the headboard) in my sewing room and I have a large table lamp (with 3-way bulb) next to the bed. I'm curious to know what kind of lighting you ladies use when you hand stitch for any length of time and if you had/have problems with glare. I need a lot of light so I use the 150-watt option of the 3-way bulb and it shines out of the bottom of the lampshade down onto my work. I know there's got to be something better, where I can still see well, but without the glare.
    I have an Ott light and I love, love, love it! When I first started using it, I couldn't believe the clarity of colors and the reduction in eye strain. I bought it using a 50% off coupon at Joann's, otherwise I never could have afforded it.

I use my Ott Lite. It really helps.

I have 2 Ott lights. One is a floor lamp and the other is a table lamp that opens up and lights up when it opens. It is more portable. I really like them and they give great light. I have had the floor lamp for at least 6-7 years and it still has the same bulb in it. I got mine at JoAnnes for 50% off, as well.

Dee
    I too have old eyes and the ott light are great. Could never sew without them.

I'm also a fan of the Ott lights. I have two --- and sometimes I use them both at the same time! One on each side of my recliner ... I need the Ott lights and my cheater magnifying glasses to sew by hand for a long time. My hands will get tired long before my eyes do.

I am an Ott lite user also. Couldn't get by without it!

I have an OTT light that I really like...even bring it in the camper with me. It is the 13W task light; folds down and has a great little handle to carry it if need be.

2 Ott lites in this house. :-)

I also have 2 OTT lights, but they never seem to be where I am. Whatever kind of needle work I'm doing I have the light over my right shoulder going down right onto my work. I have a lamp I can twist. That seems to help a great deal. When the light is off to the side it creates shadows and such and my eyes start to go wanky. Maybe if you got one of those desk lamps that you can clip onto something you could aim the light where you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I also have 2 OTT lights, but they never seem to be where I am. Whatever kind of needle work I'm doing I have the light over my right shoulder going down right onto my work. I have a lamp I can twist. That seems to help a great deal. When the light is off to the side it creates shadows and such and my eyes start to go wanky. Maybe if you got one of those desk lamps that you can clip onto something you could aim the light where you need it.
    I have the light where I need it; it shines directly onto where I'm sewing, BUT there is much glare. I can hardly see to thread the needle and I struggle to get my stitches even and it's because of the light reflected back from the needle. Ott Light says it has less glare, so I thought I'd ask for opinions here. I have a Joann's 50%-off coupon good through June 17, plus Joann's on-line catalog has an Ott table lamp on sale now for less than half price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh
    I have 2 Ott lights. One is a floor lamp and the other is a table lamp that opens up and lights up when it opens. It is more portable. I really like them and they give great light. I have had the floor lamp for at least 6-7 years and it still has the same bulb in it. I got mine at JoAnnes for 50% off, as well.
    I have the same two. Still working fine and they give great light without glare. :) Highly recommended!

I also have 2 of the ott lights....love them!

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I bought an 18-watt table Ott Lite this a.m. at JoAnns, using a 50%-off coupon. The entire length between the heavy base and the light is flexible. I've tried it, both for reading and hand quilting. It's just fine for reading and is much better for quilting than my old 3-way bulb. There is much less glare, but I can still see clearly. (Now if I only had a place to put my old table lamp.)