Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you build your stash? >

How do you build your stash?

How do you build your stash?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 AM

I shop the sales for the high qualilty fabrics.
I buy 3 to 8 yds of it if I don't have a plan for it.
I just buy what I like.
Or what I think I can use later.
Buy enough.
You don't want to run short!!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brendat0426
I have a very small stash, I am already bursting out of the one very small storage space to put it into. But I'm wondering for those of you that have a stash.....how did/do you get it? When you go to Joanns/online/LQS do you buy stuff you like and think you may use? I know Joanns/Hancocks has stuff on clearance and then they have sales on that....do you buy it then even if you dont know what to use it for?

Just wondering, Thanks!!
If it's on sale, and you like it enough that you would buy it anyway, then buy it! I don't have to have a project in mind, as I do mostly 'scrappy' quilts. I always buy at least a yard. If I 'love' it, I will buy 3 or 4 yards. I sort my fabric by color. Believe me, your stash will grow on you.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Mine was small and manageable until I went to work at ClothWorld and one of the things we did was set up and open new stores. They did that with a big sale on flat folds,(fabrics off the bolts and flat) and I went berserk! One time I had over a hundred dollars wort sold at 88cents a yard, less employees discount. That was just one purchase. When I mover over here I moved twentysix boxes of fabrics and havent stopped yet.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Brenda, I too have enjoyed reading the responses. I started buying fabrics 30 years ago when I was on the craft sale route. I made kids quilted vests nad appliqued sweatshirts, machine applique table toppers, etc. When I quit craft saling I started to make quilts from leftovers. Pretty soon I was adding fabrics to stretch the leftovers and then planning whole quilts and adding fabrics to stretch the leftovers and then planning whole .....well you get my drift LOL.
I have learned if there's a fabric I really love I buy 3-4 yards of it! It most likely won't come my way again. I catch sales and like to buy the basics (tonals and basic colors) on the sale rack. At sale time take samples of the fabrics you love to get the right matches.
I set myself a yearly budget and when I reach that amount I stop large purchases and only get what I need for the rest of the year.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

When I have a little money to spare I buy on-line just because I like it. I have not made a quilt yet, but I am gathering fabric to make the quilt in my avatar.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 PM

I have built a stash over several years. I learned the hard way that if you like a fabric better get it because it will not be there next time! I buy a yard of fabrics that "talk" to me and a quarter yard (FQ) of those that just whisper. :wink:
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM

Well, just read "vanuatuJil" over again and that's me! Also a bit like "Suzie". But I rarely buy large amounts unless I have a very specific need. I buy unusual fabrics that capture me, and I love fat quarters as I do a lot of needle-turn applique. Also, even when I do a pieced quilt, my motto is "too much fabric isn't quite enough"! But for the past two years, I have been much more selective in buying due to my huge stash and not finding another spot to put it!! But I have a hard time ignoring Batiks! Working on a pretty large (65"x55") art quilt now which is predominantly Batiks. As soon as I get the pieced borders on I'll try to send a photo.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 PM

At least my stash is very organized by color, theme, juvie, florals, Asians, Batiks, Southwest, etc. and my large closet is neat... just too full! I fold all my fabrics in rectangles about 6 x 12 and then I have a good edge to view without tearing the whole pile down. It really is great to start a new project w/o going off to shop! I always have a large stack of whites and off whites, beiges for applique projects. I rarely use a single background but prefer to have a "patched" background.... more "Pop"!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Justquilting
I shop the sales for the high qualilty fabrics.
I buy 3 to 8 yds of it if I don't have a plan for it.
I just buy what I like.
Or what I think I can use later.
Buy enough.
You don't want to run short!!
Isn't it funny how we operate differently? Except for once or twice, I've NEVER bought more than 2 yards on a fabric. I don't make large bed quilts for one thing, but even on my large wall quilts I piece the backings often. And I tend to use many fabrics in all my quilts, especially with applique work. I just find my large stash so comforting most times, but sometimes it makes me nervous!!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM

I buy when I find a bargain even if I don't know what I am going
to do with it. Sometimes I think of what I can use it for and then
I don't get to it and a few years later I don't know what I was
going to do with it. I have run out of space too but I just stack
it on the bed where I have my sewing things.